Skip to main content

I'm considering buying a Delta 1010 to record my band, but I heard that you can't plug any mic whatsoever into the non-preamped (aka 6 of the 8 ) inputs on the delta. Is this true? I always thought dynamic mics didn't need power...

If it is though, what kind of hardware could I get that would preamp 6 mics separately?

And if it isn't, were they referring to only condenser mics that need phantom power?

And can someone explain the whole line input level thing to me? Something about +10dB, line vs mic...thanks.

Ben

Comments

anonymous Sat, 05/15/2004 - 13:31

you might consider the Aardvark Q10 instead of the 1010... it has 8 built in mic preamps, 4 with phantom power. I have one and I love it. it gets very good reviews, but some people have trouble with the drivers, so you might want to check to see if your system is compatible first. if you're running an intel chipset you should be fine. I'm running a less desirable chipset but it's still working fine for me.

you can hear demos I've recorded with this card in my signature below

anonymous Tue, 04/05/2005 - 14:24

krash wrote: FWIW Delta 1010 does not have ANY mic pres in it. All of the inputs are either -10dB or +4dB.

I am guessing maybe you're talking about the Delta 1010LT? If so I think it has two balanced inputs with switchable preamps. Somewhat different animal from the Delta 1010.

so which one is better then?! the LT or 1010 itself?!

anonymous Wed, 04/06/2005 - 22:53

the 1010 is better...it is rackmountable, the conversion is done outside of the computer so its quieter, but it has no pres. You can look for a 8 channel mixer with direct outs on all the channels...probably run you like $500. Or you could get 4 M-Audio Audio Buddy preamps for like $50 each at GC. Or you could get a presonus or focusrite octopre for 7-800. Lots of relatively inexpensive options. I would go for the audio buddies though...they're small....three of them velcroed to another peice of rack gear kinda makes them rackmountable, and they're cheap....200 bucks for the same quality of pres you'd get in a mixer.

K