Skip to main content

I need to buy a portable recorder (portable = "will fit in my hand"), and the best two that I've come up with so far are the MicroTrack 24/96 and the Edirol R-09. Functionally speaking, they look pretty similar. Does anyone have any experience with either one of these recorders? Or does anyone have an alternate suggestion?

Thanks.

Comments

johnthemiracle Mon, 04/17/2006 - 10:27

i own the microtrack. you can doubtlessly make high quality recordings with this unit. unfortunately the system software seems to be a bit flakey to say the least. my current problem is that i can't record occasionally. the unit drops out of the record mode and i can't even start it again. obviously i was extremely annoyed. the meters have very high latency so you have to use the additional led's to adjust the levels correctly. that's also something i'm not especially happy with. other than that it's got great features and feels very sturdy. if maudio is able to iron out the described flaws at some point i'll be able to actually recommend it.

one last thing: the phantom power on the unit's 1/4 inch connectors is 30 volts. most Neumann and sennheiser mics require 48v plus/minus 4 volt phantom. however i have been told that even these mics work flawlessly. i would assume that there is a reduced signal to noise ration or at least the loudest recordable sound level would be reduced. haven't used the built in phantom yet.

oh, and one more thing: the battery takes a lot of time to load, i would estimate at least the same time that it will last when fully charged...

hth...