Skip to main content

Hello anyone knows this microphone? MBHO 608!
I have 2 Schoeps MK2 and i want purchase 2 cardioid mic, but Schoeps is more expensive for me now!
http://www.mbho.de/…
Thank you
Giancarlo

Comments

audiokid Wed, 09/17/2014 - 18:36

Some really good background here.
I am interested in them. In the past the MBHO microphone factory had been associated with the well known MB QUART company. I just love my MB QUART company headphones and I see MBHO's chief engineer, Manfred Schneider, was involved for a long time with the famous Dr. Schoeps.
They need to ditch the pdf product downloading though.

Boswell Thu, 09/18/2014 - 02:16

I have a stereo pair of MBHO cardioid mics. http://www.mbho.de/… These are the small-body, really tight pattern models, as you can tell from the polar plot. I use them for a lot of general work, but particularly where I am recording live and need to get an image with minimal bleed from what is going on around. Their sound is lovely - Schoeps-like at half the price - but they must be the among the most difficult products ever to write down the make and model of.

anonymous Thu, 09/18/2014 - 04:08

This mic sounds like something I should investigate further... I'm fairly well-set when it comes to LD's, but recently, I've been thinking about getting a pair of nice SD's. I don't believe I could ever afford anything by Schoeps, but the prices on the Haun models look to be more reasonable for my budget. Although, I'm not sure whether I would get cardioid or omni's ... I'm assuming that Haun makes a model with switchable capsules, which would allow me to start with cardioid and eventually switch to omni - or vice versa.

Boswell Thu, 09/18/2014 - 04:57

The MBP range of bodies with interchangeable KA capsules would be the ones. I have never seen or heard any of this range, but I would think that they would be very similar to the fixed capsule type that I have.

Did you find US prices on these mics? The only US distributer I saw was Music Trade Center in NY, which looks on Streetview like a room above a coffee shop with no website that I could see.

Boswell Thu, 09/18/2014 - 08:58

OK, thanks, that's better. That's not a bad price for an MBP603 + KA200N capsule.

It's worth asking about a matched pair if you are thinking laying out for two. The fact that you don't automatically get consecutive serial numbers in their matched pairs indicates that they don't just take the next two off the production line but actually go to the trouble of matching up the test reports before selecting a pair that have sufficiently similar characteristics.