Skip to main content

I've done a search and found very little about this mic. Has anyone here used it? I'm rather intrigued by the spheres that can be attached, and the changes these make to the sound in real world conditions. When these are attached, the assembly looks like the innards of the tlm-50. How does the sound compare with the 184 and 183?

Thanks in advance,
John Stafford

Topic Tags

Comments

FifthCircle Sat, 12/04/2004 - 09:16

If you can't afford a better omni, it is certainly a viable way to go. The upper end harshness that Fletcher mentions is exactly right. Makes it usuable IMO for difuse field micing, but certainly not for close micing. If you can afford any one of a number of better omnis, you'd likely get a lot more use out of them (ie Schoeps MK2, Sennheiser MKH20, B&K 4003/4006, etc...). There are a lot of great mics out there, but the newer low-end Neumanns aren't really in that clasification anymore.

--Ben

John Stafford Sat, 12/04/2004 - 12:39

Gentlemen
Thank you both for your replies. I can get the 183s for a good price, so I was just wondering if they were good enough to be my "good" omnis. I don't have a lot to spend, but I've been looking into the Schoeps and the Sennheiser MKH series. I might buy a pair of Schoeps capsules now and buy the bodies later, or maybe one Sennheiser to start with. I'm just so sick of outgrowing equipment that I'll wait a little longer. Anyhow, my list of must-haves is so long at the moment, but an investment is an investment. It's a pity patience isn't a virtue I've been endowed with!

Thanks again,
John Stafford