Skip to main content

I can give you about 5 examples of my vocal style/range, which pretty much summarizes it all. Building Castles's Profile - Indaba Music Most of it isn't really hip hop from these particular examples, but in my music, I do a fair amount of rapping and I sing in every song. Black Holes would be a good song to check out, as it represents both my rapping and my singing. I'm a dynamic singer, so I'll go from fairly soft to really loud in the same phrase. I tend to keep my rap vox pretty dirty with distortion, in part because I don't feel like I have a tough/thick enough sounding voice without it. I know there's doubling and all that, but I still don't feel like I have it. Anyway, I have a bedroom studio. No vocal closet. I have blankets on the walls and I sing towards the corner of the room where the blankets are. These vox were done with an SM58. I've already been looking around and have seen the Shure SM7b pop up a lot, as well as the AT40 series. I don't have a preamp and I'm pretty sure my Saffire Pro 24 couldn't handle the SM7 without one. It'd be nice to not have to bother with that, but I'd be willing to throw in a couple hundred for a preamp if I really have to. Thanks for any suggestions. I'm sure these types of threads get annoying, but I thought it might be easier to get specific when you can actually hear my singing style. Thanks