-Console- Digidesign C|24-$9000
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C24/
-Mic- (Thinking Neumann)-$2000
-Monitors-(Thinking Dynaudio) -$1000
-Preamp- Digidesign PRE- $2000
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DigiPre/
-Interface-(Thinking Apogee) -$2500
-Computer- Mac Pro- $3000
-Desk- Sound Construction C|24 Desk- $3000 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SWC24S1-2/
-Cables-(Straight Mogami!)-$1000
-Foam-(Straight Auralex)- $1,500

NEW Gear List:
Digidesign C|24 - $8,000
Mic - $2,000
Monitors - $1,000
Digidesign Interface - $2,000
Desk - $3,000
Mogami Cables - $600
Auralex acoustic treatment - $1,000
Computer - $2,000
headphones, Stand, Pop Filter, Chair etc- $400

Now thats $20,000.. More sensible eh..

One of my main concerns is the console that i chose... Because I'm not dropping $40,000 on a SSL board or a Neve.. Because honestly, I don't feel i really need one.
Do you think it will be a turn off for musicians who are used to recording in the studios with the million-fader consoles?
I'm confident in my sound regardless, I'm positive nothing but grade-A quality bangers will come out of my lab.

Comments

anonymous Thu, 03/05/2009 - 13:32

Dude: Do you A) Need to be able to return profits on this investment to be able to keep it going? B) Do this as strictly a hobby regardless of whether it covers it's own costs C) Consider your self a philanthropist...Studio time should be cheap and readily available for anyone , in any genre of music, and studio owners should just put up and close up....oops, that was a Freudian slip, I meant shut up!!! Because, I think that if you are considering this from a "BUSINESS" perspective, you need to re-consider your cost-dollar-return ratio. I'm not saying that "My way is THE right way!" But we do carefully consider, before purchasing new gear at my studio, "Will this piece provide a return on it's investment?" Beta-thought -process= "Or, are we getting SUCH a great price on it, and it looks soo cool that it provides "Shock-and Awe" factor in the studio...at a minimal loss?" Yes, unfortunately, client awe is still often a deciding factor when they are choosing a studio...as we have have repeatedly found!!!

Tom Fodor Mon, 09/21/2009 - 02:41

Start with a good foundation

I would seriously consider sticking with the gear you have for a while and save some more cash. Learn to get the most out of what you already have and spend a whole lot of time researching and developing your skills. When you do go looking for a new rig you will be able to make better purchasing choices. If you just can't help yourself, start with a good set of Mics, converters, Pre's and monitors. Digidesign's gear is ok if you run the HD system and hang great gear off it but it's not the be all and end all. Personally I would start elsewhere.......

Jonesey Fri, 10/02/2009 - 12:46

stickers wrote: Call me debbie downer..

But 30k is a lot of money especially if you're just starting out. I could see spending $7,500 or so. Computer, firewire interface. 8 channel pre with adat out, monitors(speakers), headphone amp, head phones, cables, microphones, stands.

MY question is how long will it take for him to get a return in his business venture and would the money be better off safely invested.

I could spend big pile of money on recording gear but I know better. Get what you NEED to work comfortably. After that if you start generating business and have paid off you initial expenses and you still actually enjoy recording, then its OK to splurge on the extras.

You sound like my wife!!! Seriously $30,000 is not alot of money when it comes to a recording studio. Maybe he's got a real job, just kidding.

Link555 Fri, 10/02/2009 - 15:15

I have say to do a studio right, $30k would not even buy the acoustic treatment. However $30k is still a lot of money to invest in a industry that does not grant very much return. I would not do it. Get a job you like, and ease yourself into night time recording gig. Work at someone else's studio first. See if its truely where your hearts at. Then take the money you earn from music and buy gear with that. I would never take a loan for music gear, thats a recipe for trouble....