Skip to main content

so tell me what you guys think one vs the other I'm about to buy and I've had great experience with the D112 but I'd hate to miss out on a great mic just because the one might be more popular. Reviews seem to be pretty even. Thanks

Comments

RemyRAD Sat, 12/31/2005 - 12:07

Well, I own a D112 and it's OK. The original D12 was wonderful but it's very difficult to find any used, in good condition.

The Electro Voice RE 20 is another microphone I own and is also quite nice for bass drum, along with plenty of other applications as it is a large diaphragm dynamic. I like Shures on snare drum but I'm not excited about any of them on Tom Toms and their new bass drum mic, although I have frequently used them all in that application, both live and in the studio. Another favorite of mine for Tom Toms, snare drum and bass drum is Sennheiser's MD421/441s, they are awesome! A little more pricey but a kick ass sound! Unfortunately, those are both a little more awkward because of their size and shape.

Remy Ann David

anonymous Sat, 12/31/2005 - 12:48

Yea I planned on getting a 421 for guitar and toms, I haven't heard of a lot of people that like it for kick drum, but you say you like it better than a d112. that would be cool, if it worked that would be really versital, but looking at the freq response it doesn't seem like it would be that great but I'll definately look into it.

Davedog Sat, 12/31/2005 - 14:07

This is a question that has been yammered about at some length.

It becomes a matter of personal taste at some point.

Here's the key point to it all.....If you have an incredible sounding drum kit and a very good room, then your kick-drum mic choice is likely to be one of familiarity rather than hunting for it to do the work that the drum needs to do in the first place.

I cant stress that enough.

For the questions' sake here is what I use and have used....as always YMMV as these were used in an entirely different situation and set-up than yours.

In no particular order....Audix D6,D4...Sennheiser MD409, MD421...Electrovoice RE20,RE16...Audio Technica ATM25...AKG D12,D112...Neumann U47fet,U87....Studio Projects B3...Shure SM57,SM7,PE545,Beta 52,BG52,555....Crown PZM.....

As you can see most anything will work for kick drum, dependant on the situation,style of music,drum tuning and room quality.

In my room now I use the ATM25 in on the beater and the SP B3 out in front down low. Its not real heavy music but its makes a tight and complete kick drum sound. Live I use a D4 Audix in on the beater and with the overheads and a snare mic it works great.

I dont like the sound of the D112 all that much...the basketball reference is a good description to my ear, but I love it on bass cabinets. The ATM25 is a much more versatile mic IMHO and is cheaper.

My all-time fav is the Sennheiser MD409 on the beater and a Neumann out front, but finding a 409 in good condition and spend a few grand for the other is probably not the answer you're looking for.

x

User login