Skip to main content

AMEK Einstien

Hi, I'm looking at an AMEK Einstein Super "E" 36 channel recording console. The seller is asking $5500. The board is in great shape, everything lights up, only a few scatchy pots, whisper quiet and sounds great. Has anyone ever recorded or mixed on an Einstein? Is this a fair price? Thanks

Comments

moonbaby Fri, 09/08/2006 - 07:29
Not the Einstein. But all of the AMEK desks from that era are very similar in layout and componentry. They are a modular design: you pull a strip, fix it and put it back. The issues that I had with the Angela and the Hendrix were very similar. Ribbon cables, humidity ( I am in Florida), and heat dissipation. We had to gerry-rig the power supply with a different muffin fan to get the damned thing to not crash (helped to quiet it down. too). Ribbon cables had little slack, which can be a pain at times. And the humidity can wreak havoc with the switching circuits. The patch bay (RH desk) was a bit ornery at times. Nothing a decent solderer couldn't fix. Overall, a great work of engineering, British style. Ever own an MG?
Parts were spotty in the States when AMEK was owned by Harmon. Now that they've cut them loose, I have no idea. That's why I said to get ALL of the documentation that you can. You're gonna learn why the Boy Scouts have that motto....
On the plus side, the desks were never totally "down". They sounded great, with all of the headroom that a "pro audio" piece should have. And there was nothing really chicken-crap about them. Solidly built, but with some irritating flaws. And easy to get around on. Not to mention really cool when they were all lit up in the dark control room!
BTW, what other goodies are included with this gem? They offered some desk options like a RH patch bay, "Virtual Dynamics", and "SuperTrue" automation. That reminds me of something else...British PC's!!! Each of those last 2 uses one....they kept them simple with some DOS machine language that is probably not available these days. I miss the sound, the presence in the CR, but I got tired of the late-night "solder-attacks" we had to do.
Good luck, it really seems like a steal.
I'm only a "prick" to the clueless.

Pro Audio Guest Fri, 09/08/2006 - 09:58
yea its okay man call me JP all you want. but you started it for no reason. florida huh? thats a great place, what is the chief demographic of florida? i bet its similar to new york. how the hell would you feel being a muslim with your entire country shutdown and far too many innocent casualties to count. you don't care you just pay your taxes, look up child porn, and spout shit on a recording forum. go ahead and lay my post to waste if you must, but you need to listen up. terror occured in new york because of this demographic we are talking about.

the innocent are swept up in the political (domino theory) and economic (oil) motives of a demographic who owns the media, who beat the holocaust into our heads through textbooks. what about africa, in rwanda? or what about russia under stalin with the largest death toll in history. and it was never even recorded. the fact of the matter is moonbaby you need to fuck yourself, and if you're so good and know so much then i guess being on this forum and all you'd have no problem learning things from others, or teaching the "clueless" like me.

otherwise, why are you here? is it just the backup page to your child porn? "i was just looking at recording stuff, mom"



sorry just not to completely hijack your thread, the amek eisntein is a great piece of gear and i throughly enjoy it,

Cucco Fri, 09/08/2006 - 10:42
liquidstudios wrote: sorry just not to completely hijack your thread, the amek eisntein is a great piece of gear and i throughly enjoy it,

How in the name of Thor's sphincter would you know? Have you ever worked on an Einstein before? Seeing as how there are probably less than 50 of them functioning throughout the US now (and realisticly, probably half that number). Not only that, it's a pretty random console at that...I mean, if he had asked about an SSL G series or a Neve, or even a Sony Oxford, I would expect a lot of people to jump in here and comment, but seriously, an obscure board such as the Einstein...com'on.

liquidstudios wrote: i bet its similar to new york. how the hell would you feel being a muslim with your entire country shutdown and far too many innocent casualties to count. you don't care you just pay your taxes, look up child porn, and spout shit on a recording forum. go ahead and lay my post to waste if you must, but you need to listen up. terror occured in new york because of this demographic we are talking about.

What the flying dog-sh*t are you talking about?? What does this have to do with anything? If you have some axe to grind with the Jews, try doing it somewhere else. This is recording.org not religion.org (I can see where the confusion lies).

Here we worship Neve (no, not Campbell), Royer, and classic Neumanns, not Allah, God or anyother deity. (We go to religion.org for that.)

liquidstudios wrote: the fact of the matter is moonbaby you need to fuck yourself

Wow, such harsh lanquage. I'm not sure that this is a "FACT" per se. It's my general opinion that everyone should practice the art of self-love, but I hardly believe that it's a fact.

Oh...and what's the obsession with kiddy porn dude? I'm sure Mr. Freud would have something to say about that...

moonbaby Tue, 09/05/2006 - 06:21
I have had an Angela and worked with a Hendrix. Both of these were built in the same era as the Einstein. Very well built, very good sounding boards, decent ergonomics. Get the power supply checked out, expect to re-cap it. Does it include all the service documentation? If so, and you have available service in your region, I'd say it's a great deal.

Pro Audio Guest Fri, 09/08/2006 - 12:41
who said anything about religion?

if you are so into recording, please tell me why you feel the need to criticize someone to make yourself feel better about your skill. its not even to the point where its constructive criticism. if you think you are better than someone which in turn means that you think someone is clueless about pro audio engineering, why do you feel the need to point it out? seriously what does it prove? most of the people on this board have nothing to offer but opinionated words, because i don't see a bunch of posts with attached audio samples of there work in the form of a valid credential. including you.

seriously why the hell are you on this forum if you are so good? why don't you take the effort to make good on your words and educate your fellow engineers no matter how good they are. because it doesn't matter how good i am at an instrument, if i say constantly that i am better than someone else people will end up labeling me as immature. and that is essentially what you are doing.

don't call someone clueless or hint that you know more than them. that's immature as hell. none of the advice or opinions i've stated on this forum have been "Wrong," you just didn't like my attitude or my opinions in themselves. find a better way, a more factual way to express yourself. if you really are as good as you imply, and i really am as clueless as you say, then why don't you prove it with audio samples of your work, even then if you really are so good you would have no reason to attempt to prove it by implying it or cutting me down. and if you really are so good then educate the rest of this board with your greatness.

i dont check peoples profiles on here, i use it simply for learning. and until you take some of my points into consideration and act as a wise educator, then you need to realize that you are no better than anyone else on here. you're just some douchebag sitting behind his computer screen thinking you're better than everyone else. in the world of music "professionalism" has little to no meaning. if you don't believe me just look at its history. you're not even helping anyone or anything other than filling your ego. if you really were that good, why in the hell do you feel the need to point it out? let your talent speak for itself and use this forum to educate people.

you need to remember that anyone can critique. its one of the easiest things to do. and how valid are critiques at the end of the day?

Cucco Fri, 09/08/2006 - 13:32
Alright, that's it. I've had enough. I've been tolerating you thus far - it ends now.

liquidstudios wrote:
if you are so into recording, please tell me why you feel the need to criticize someone to make yourself feel better about your skill.

I don't. I'm not criticizing you to make me feel better; me feeling better just happens to be a fringe benefit. I'm criticizing you because you come around here and offer up advice to people when you clearly have no f***ing clue what the hell you're talking about. Then you refer to people as pedophiles and other niceties.

liquidstudios wrote:
its not even to the point where its constructive criticism. if you think you are better than someone which in turn means that you think someone is clueless about pro audio engineering, why do you feel the need to point it out?

Because you keep dispensing advice. Advice about sh*t of which you obviously have no clue.

liquidstudios wrote:
seriously what does it prove?

Nothing. You have proved more for me than I ever could. Thank you.

liquidstudios wrote:
most of the people on this board have nothing to offer but opinionated words,

Wow. You've been on this board for exactly 2 days now and you've had enough time to make judgement about the past 5 years worth of postings. Impressive. Google should hire you and replace their indexing engine!

liquidstudios wrote:
because i don't see a bunch of posts with attached audio samples of there work in the form of a valid credential. including you.

Well, how's about opening your friggin eyes?? Let's see - my website is clearly posted on all of my replies and there are plenty o' samples there. Oh, and let's see....if you check several of my previous posts in the audio projects sections, you'll see plenty there too. Oh, and you're welcome to listen to NPR in Richmond, Washington DC and Baltimore and hear plenty more of my samples.

liquidstudios wrote:
seriously why the hell are you on this forum if you are so good?

Because I like to give the common man the opportunity to associate with the likes of a genius like me. It makes me feel like I'm giving something back to the community.

liquidstudios wrote:
why don't you take the effort to make good on your words and educate your fellow engineers no matter how good they are.

Because 3/4s of the people on this board are smarter and more talented than I am. I'm here to learn. If there's something I can share, I gladly will (and do.) BUT, when a blubbering whale's scrotum shows up and tries to share their vast ignorance and stupidity with others as though it's some kind of authoritative source of moronicity (perhaps a new word?), I get a little peeved. Especially when they don't know when to shut the f*ck up.

liquidstudios wrote:
because it doesn't matter how good i am at an instrument, if i say constantly that i am better than someone else people will end up labeling me as immature.
Yup. I don't recall saying I was better than anyone though...nope...didn't say it.

liquidstudios wrote:
and that is essentially what you are doing.
Yup...you're immature. (Not because you don't know what you're talking about, but because you refer to people as pedophiles and because your topics change direction radically and because you don't know when to take the hint.)

liquidstudios wrote:
don't call someone clueless or hint that you know more than them. that's immature as hell.

Well...try not to refer to folks as pedophiles and tell them to go f*ck themselves.

liquidstudios wrote:
none of the advice or opinions i've stated on this forum have been "Wrong," you just didn't like my attitude or my opinions in themselves.

Well....there's:
liquidstudios wrote:
why not get the only amek that matters, the 9098i?

Oh, and this:
liquidstudios wrote:
uh bomb factory shit probably. the universal audio plugins, who knows who cares. they are all the same

most of the plugins come off of a burned cd, they literally just do what the actual units do. but obviously provide zero circuitry for the sound to go through. let alone transistors or tubes.

i honestly dont believe there is any difference soundwise from plugin to plugin. the only difference might be the functionality of it. i mean it does do exactly what the real piece does.

And don't forget:
liquidstudios wrote:
if you have an analog piece of outboard equipment, which is basically almost 90% of all outboard stuff. with exceptions of stuff like the liquid channel, and some tc electronic digital stuff.

And then there's the one where:
liquidstudios wrote:
first of all why do you think you need A/D converters? are you planning on recording to an analog reel to reel tape recorder first then going to digital? i don't know why anyone would need A/D converters when using analog outboard gear

Oh yeah, I almost forgot:
liquidstudios wrote:
if youre looking for a tube device then go with the Millennia, its gonna be really similar sounding to an avalon like the 737.

And of course:
liquidstudios wrote:
(actually they claim for the FET portion they have a completely JFET based path input to output) i have a hard time believing that completely, they refuse to reveal their specs. they've probably just found a way to hybrid an op-amp (which yes all basic components of electro-magnetic circuitry contains transistors and transformers) with a transistor.

This one had me for a minute:
liquidstudios wrote:
my understanding was that it is really only necessary to use it during recording to analog reel to reel, then transferring it over to your digital recorder/interface.

Oh, and of course theres:
liquidstudios wrote:
dude i disagree, with those computer capabilities i'm not sure if you'd be able to handle it. depending on what software you use of course. i had laptop computer capabilities like that and i had to resort using to an entry level cubase le or whatever the cheapest cubase version is. and by entry level i don't mean beginners stuff per se, because technically speaking it's a much harder software to use than something like pro tools, it's just more html computer code oriented it would seem, making it very difficult to use for the average person.

Is that enough, or should I continue??

liquidstudios wrote:
find a better way, a more factual way to express yourself. if you really are as good as you imply, and i really am as clueless as you say, then why don't you prove it with audio samples of your work,

Please feel free to visit my webpage at:
http://www.sublymerecords.com
navigate to the studio page and then click each sample.

liquidstudios wrote:
even then if you really are so good you would have no reason to attempt to prove it by implying it or cutting me down. and if you really are so good then educate the rest of this board with your greatness.

Hey, I only have so much greatness to go around. People have to stand in line for that you know.

liquidstudios wrote:
i dont check peoples profiles on here, i use it simply for learning.

Well, that's not my fault. Perhaps if you did, you might see who some of the people whom you are insulting are...

liquidstudios wrote:
and until you take some of my points into consideration and act as a wise educator,
What, like not needing analog to digital conversion unless you are recording to tape??

liquidstudios wrote:
then you need to realize that you are no better than anyone else on here.
Yes I am. I'm better than everyone on here except David F. He's the f*cking Oracle!

liquidstudios wrote:
you're just some douchebag sitting behind his computer screen thinking you're better than everyone else.

"Douchebag[sic]" is hyphenated (eg. Douche-bag), just like "Ass-pirate" or "Turd-burglar" or "Ass-hat" or "sh*t-stain."

JP22 wrote:
in the world of music "professionalism" has little to no meaning. if you don't believe me just look at its history.

NO KIDDING! That Mozart fella was a real DICK. And Beethoven....sh*t he got an STD by sleeping with his students! Oh, and don't forget Tchaikovsky...the goddamn pillow-biter (notice the hyphenation). (Oh...and please, all of my gay friends and neighbors, I still love you) And perhaps worst of all, the infamous, disrespectful terrorist of a musician - Franz Joseph Haydn. What an unprofessional prick!

Gnat's Dick wrote:
you're not even helping anyone or anything other than filling your ego. if you really were that good, why in the hell do you feel the need to point it out?

I forgot where I said that......Oh wait... I just did a search on my profile....NOPE, never said that.

H.R.Puffenstuff wrote:
let your talent speak for itself and use this forum to educate people.

Screw that...I'm here to learn...I don't give 2 rats' asses about educating the public...

Mahatma Ghandi wrote:
you need to remember that anyone can critique. its one of the easiest things to do. and how valid are critiques at the end of the day?

Dude, I have A.D.D. so bad, I need to remember to pull my pants down before I crap. You think I'm going to remember your friggin nuggets of wisdom??? Sorry. In 6 weeks, I'll have forgotten who LiquidStudios even was.

YOU SIR, are no JP22! He at least had staying power and could draw a crowd.

Sincerely,

Dr. Douche-Bag, PhD. DDS, MD

moonbaby Fri, 09/08/2006 - 14:45
OMIGOD!!!! LOL!!
Damn, Cucco, I laughed so hard that I almost dropped the little girl that was in my lap!!!!
I felt a bit guilty about replying to this guy, but the same know-it-all attitude kept coming up on hijacked posts. With absolutely retarded answers, to boot. Maybe he'll get the message and just shrink off into the shadows, but...

Pro Audio Guest Fri, 09/08/2006 - 20:07
how were any of the statements that i made in any way wrong? the only ones that i was confused about was on the A/D converters. i hold my word on plugins not offering much if any sound to the processing. they literally are just parameters of such and such dynamic processor.

the comments concerning millennia are no big deal, if anything as big of a deal as you guys insisting that the red 7 is better than the isa. they are both exactly the same price. the both have the exact same features. im willing to bet the circuitry is very similar.

so tell me what else i said other than the A/D conversion stuff that was just blatently and utterly wrong.

moonbaby Thu, 09/07/2006 - 10:31
Dear Wateronthebrainstudios:
You have been posting some real assinine responses to topics that you are ill-equipped to handle. The poster stated that he/she had found a $5500.00 AMEK desk. The models previously listed are all valid models designed by the great Graham Langley. Unfortunately, $5500.00 would hardly cover a single channel strip on a 9098i. Get your head out of your butt and have a nice day.
PS: Are you really "Calgary"? 8-)

Pro Audio Guest Thu, 09/07/2006 - 17:36
it was somewhat of a joke. man you guys are really stuck on this JP character, i guess when an internet forum is all you have in this world that's what you have to continually talk about. it's cute really

i think the 9098i is tight.

it was late when i read the entry and didnt see where it said console and 5,000 bucks, my mistake.

i don't usually think in terms of consoles, even though the neve sstuff is badass. i would just try to find a digidesign console or some kind of interface and use external preamps, given the fact that i don't like having uniform preamps. but i suppose the price range is about the same between a digidesign board and this amek you're taking about.

i do have a question though, what would be the comparative signal to noise on the inputs of this board you are looking at? i believe the digidesign is -130dB. what is the typical SNR for a high grade studio console. and what in your opinion is the bare minnimum for SNR on an interface or console?

by the way moonbaby quit bein a prick, im sorry if my comments displease you

Pro Audio Guest Thu, 09/07/2006 - 17:43
sorry it was late when i read that comment and didnt notice the words console or 5000 bucks. my mistake.

i dont put too much emphasis on consoles, more so interfaces. that amek would be nice, but what about it compared to like a digidesign in terms of SNR. what is the minnimum for which SNR are in high grade studio consoles or interfaces? i believe the digidesign was about -130dB, and it was about 7,000 dollars i think.

how would something like m-audio project mix rate?

i usually prefer a console with just great SNR and transparency, then a bunch of different preamps to attain my sound. by the way moonbaby quit being a fat pedophile you prick. :o jk sweetie



oh also its sad that when your life comes down to an internet forum all you have left to talk about is little old JP, for months after the fact. its more pathetic than anything.

Tags

x