Skip to main content

I know Monster has quite the rep, but does anyone know if BLUE cables stack up?

Topic Tags

Comments

Guest Wed, 09/19/2001 - 04:55

What's the purpose? Line level or Mic level? Are you in a high RFI environment (like in a big city) or a low RF environment (like not in a city)?

I've not tried the two next to each other, but I have found that on 'mic level' stuff the Mogami 'double wire' stuff sounds fine, and in environments where RF is a problem, Mogami or Canare 'star quad' can really save the day.

Best of luck with your seach.

anonymous Wed, 09/19/2001 - 10:29

I've done a lot of a/b'ing between Monster Studio Pro1000, 500 vs Mogami 2549 (two wire w/shield) and 2534 (4wire). Testing was interconnecting line Neuman m149 to Amek channel in a box, to Apogee psx100se, to Yamaha4416 24bit recorder/mixer (makes for easy instant comparisons)
Like Fletcher says above, the Mogami 2549 two wire is best (open, airy, clarity of nuance, and spacially beautiful). Their 2534 in Quad or dual wiring) suck by comparison, but may be better if you have otherwise unusable sound.(Mogami concurrs with this, recommending 2549 where possible).
All of the Monster stuff sounds harsh by comparison.
A tip you might try is to use Neutrik SILVER connectors, strip an inch of wire, tie a not and cut off excess, press knot into solder cup, then crimp INSTEAD of soldering. The difference is astounding (us govt. recommends crimping over soldering, but could be for different reasons). Everyone thinks that's crazy here, and I understand that completely, but.. it's better by far to my ear. Magic wouldn't be going too far.
Along the same vein.. Gold places a blanket on the sound compared to silver. Lot's of people point to reports that say you can't hear the difference, but anyone with a musicians ear will hear it with close listening for short detailed parts on piano and drums. Good luck Paul

erockerboy Wed, 09/19/2001 - 11:36

A tip you might try is to use Neutrik SILVER connectors, strip an inch of wire, tie a not and cut off excess, press knot into solder cup, then crimp INSTEAD of soldering. The difference is astounding. Everyone thinks that's crazy here, and I understand that completely, but.. it's better by far to my ear. Magic wouldn't be going too far.
Along the same vein.. Gold places a blanket on the sound compared to silver. Lot's of people point to reports that say you can't hear the difference, but anyone with a musicians ear will hear it.

This kind of statement always give me that dull creeping feeling down my spine... wondering exactly what my mixes "lose" by going through all those hundreds of solder joints from mic to jack to cable to patchbay to console to recorder. All those myriads of tiny, fragile voltages... the hurdles those poor electrons have to jump over every time they go from copper to gold to tin to silver. Makes ya wonder.

If I ever make some decent money, I am gonna build an all-crimped interconnect system for my rig, with silver wire. Oh yeah, and a Faraday cage. And while I'm at it, I'll convert all my audio gear to run unbalanced, and take out all the balancing amps, buffers and other crap in the signal path. Then we'll see what's what. For now, I keep telling myself it's all voodoo... even though I know better.