Skip to main content

I recently finished an album of all-acoustic guitar songs. Kinda jazzy, folky, mellow easy listening. I recorded this particular tune with 2 condenser mics focused in an X-Y configuration near 12th fret. The mics were 2 AKG P170's. The mics were both run into 2 separate tube preamps then into a KORG D888 digital 8 track machine. I recorded the rhythm track first then the lead track next. Then transferred the 2 files to computer and produced in the DAW called "MIXCRAFT". I used an open tuning with a drop D and some other adjustments I cant remember right now. The song is written in 3 "modes" that flow into each other. .Dorian, Mixolydian and harmonic minor. So the landscape subtly changes. I uploaded the MP3 but in case that doesnt work, here is also a LINK. https://freejazzrev…

cats_in_the_window.mp3
Play

Comments

pcrecord Mon, 05/21/2018 - 04:33

Nice playing.
I never was a fan of panning soloing instruments. I prefer making the rithme instrument wide and keep solos in the middle.. but it's a preference, not a rule..
The rithme guitar sounds a bit too bright and could have more low end.. Of course that might be the instrument and you may had no choice at mix time but then the P170 have a drastic 5db peak at 10k. This, in my opinion, is too much. I would have reduced 10k and get highs else where instead.. 10k often sounds metalic and agressive (common of budget gear)
It's just a bit sad you present it when it's all done, instead of in the process of...

Again nice perfo ! ;)

Bob Ruzzo Mon, 05/21/2018 - 05:06

pcrecord, post: 457058, member: 46460 wrote: Nice playing.
I never was a fan of panning soloing instruments. I prefer making the rithme instrument wide and keep solos in the middle.. but it's a preference, not a rule..
The rithme guitar sounds a bit too bright and could have more low end.. Of course that might be the instrument and you may had no choice at mix time but then the P170 have a drastic 5db peak at 10k. This, in my opinion, is too much. I would have reduced 10k and get highs else where instead.. 10k often sounds metalic and agressive (common of budget gear)
It's just a bit sad you present it when it's all done, instead of in the process of...

Again nice perfo ! ;)

You know part of my issue is I have some high frequency loss in both ears. I went to get hearing test done last month. My wife who is also a musician says the same thing. My music sounds a little trebly. I can go back into the raw files in my DAW and EQ those guitars with less high end. Then repost. I also agree about panning issue. I think what I might do is get one GOOD decent recording mic for acoustic guitar. I thought those AKG's would be sufficient. I also have a set of AKG p120's which somebody gave me. I only used them once. I can't spend $1000 on a mic but would like input and suggestions on a good all-purpose mic mainly for recording acoustic guitars.

Tony Carpenter Mon, 05/21/2018 - 07:29

Hi Bob,

Just to add to what Marco said. I can also hear you taking breaths :), very organic, but may not want that as you go forward. I use two mics on my recordings which total more than 1k but, worth the effort, one Rode NT2a (sides figure 8) and one AT4033a (mid) done as a M/S config. They give me a lovely warm wide sound. Ignore Marco and his middle solo thing ;). Performance is great though as Marco said.

I also suffer loss above about 12k. I use the tonal balance part of iZotopes new offerings. Otherwise, I have my wife and her much younger ears :D.

Tony

Smashh Mon, 05/21/2018 - 09:04

Nice playing ,
Im on headphones . About 2/3 rd of the way through , I started thinking I was too close to the guitars . It was a little uncomfortable
because Im usually hearing them further away ( even if Im playing ) . You could maybe reamp into a room and then subtly manipulate
the distance from the performance at different points in the piece , to keep interest and get my head out of the sound hole ....lol

when mixing you could try boosting the top end of an eq on the master buss to counter that trebly outcome .
Just remember to disengage when your done .
I bought some seinhiezer ear buds that were reviewed as being too trebly to try and negate that prob .

Ash