Skip to main content

Anyone done A/B comparisons with these mics?

I've only recorded with the D112. Sounds closed and EQ'd.
What does the 52 sound like?

Thanks for your time.

Comments

anonymous Wed, 08/03/2005 - 10:28

Wilde I just did some tracks A/B ing both we chose the 52 , the D112 just sounded boxy IMO the Beat 52 is very sensitive to proximity fx so placement is critical , but you can get all types of different sounds from it ( closer = more bottom , further = more like a D112 kinda !! )

The D112 is nice in that it is very nuetral to distance ( or not paying attention ) but the Beta 52 takes it IMO .

Later
Buzz

bobbo Wed, 08/03/2005 - 11:02

re

i have a beta 52 and a d6, not a d112 but i can tell you just from the comparrison of what i have, the d6 is a lot more pleasing with out extra eq, and the 52 seems to have more boxyness when just inside the kick, now its hard so say what sound you are going for, what kind of kit you have, if the resonant head is going to be completely off, or have a hole in it, or even not have a hole at all, and you're preamps. and what style music.

i did a test with just my own kit into my stock dps24 pres, and i had at least 2 mics per drum, and 3 on the kick, i put my d6, my beta52, and my audiotechnica pro 25 on the outside of the kick, in the center, and i chose the pro 25 over the other two for the kind of sound that i wanted, so it really depends on your sound that you are trying to acheive. you can also try a ld condensor about a foot or 2 away from the kick drum. that may give you what you want too.

later player