Skip to main content

Some days you get an ad that makes you feel good that you http://www.uaudio.c… settled for the plugin-

Comments

Davedog Fri, 04/01/2011 - 10:40

The Beatles , starting with Geoff Emerick's time as engineer, used the Fairchild on the drums and the Altec compressor on the bass. Prior to this only the Altec was used on both the drums and the bass and the guitars. So,with the songs Paperback Writer and Rain, you can hear the HUGE difference in the drum sound as well as the bass. This is also when they began putting the bass on its own tracks. Of course , since it was still 4 track, they overdubbed onto the bass track when needed , but the recording of bass by itself from the begining really brought Pauls playing forward in a way that forever changed rock bass playing.

Big K Thu, 04/14/2011 - 05:19

I love vanilla!!
LOL

The 670 is the only sw compressor I know that gives such great results when driven hard.
Sure enough it colours the sound, but ever so sweet. You'll have lots of fun with it, but you tested it already, anyhow.

The Neve 88r is quite close to the original. I like using it, quite regularly, but the new SSL 4000 strip with
the G series bus comp is just as great... I'll update in a few weeks.... :-)

Is there any UAD plugin, at all, that is bad or shall I ask not good?? Tried the Precision De-Esser? Nice!
Now, thinking of it, ..I guess, the Maximizer is not quite up there. I have seen some better sounding competitors. One of which is SPL with the
Vitalizer (now 3rd Party developer for UA ) and PoCo's Character, all slightly different, but with a slight edge over UA's Maximizer.

Big K Fri, 04/15/2011 - 05:12

Davedog, post: 368856 wrote: When I mixed the last record I did so at SuperDigital's room where he has ALL the toys! We tried a Maximizer on a couple of tracks but for the blues it just wasnt right. Even as a global. I think we wound up with the SPL on the 2-bus before it went to mastering.

The SPL Vitalizer might be one of the next UADs...

Folks: Don't use exciter and that kinda crap when you tend to get hooked!!
We had that in the '90s. Awful!
LOL...

x

User login