Skip to main content
forums, blogs, song critique, support & more...

First Original to Post

Here is an original song I wrote: Ballad of the life of Marie Dorion. Google her sometime for a wild slice of history. Looking for overall mix feedback...I think I have tamed my over compression habit with the feedback here.

[MEDIA=audio]https://www.recording.org/attachments/w…]

[MEDIA=audio]https://recording.org/attachments/walk-…]

Attached files

Walk Far Woman v2.mp3 (5.3 MB) 

Comments

Profile picture for user bouldersound
Member for
11 years 4 months

bouldersound Wed, 09/19/2018 - 12:12

The main thing I notice about this mix is that the strummed instruments seem to have prominent pick-on-string sound and almost no body/resonance/sustain. That works rhythmically but leaves the chord structure underrepresented.

Profile picture for user Kurt Foster
Member for
18 years 11 months

Kurt Foster Wed, 09/19/2018 - 12:31

i think it sounds pretty damn good. i like the song too! good stuff. where in Oregon are you? I'm in Springfield.

Profile picture for user Ben Davis
Member for
3 years 11 months

Ben Davis Wed, 09/19/2018 - 14:48

bouldersound, post: 459052, member: 38959 wrote: The main thing I notice about this mix is that the strummed instruments seem to have prominent pick-on-string sound and almost no body/resonance/sustain. That works rhythmically but leaves the chord structure underrepresented.

I think you are right..…..maybe need some more highs taken off with EQ....I did just buy the new LR Baggs Session footpeddle which adds saturation and notches out typical nasty frequencies on the acoustic guitar...tested it last night thru a live rig and wow it made my Martin D35 sound might fat. Not sure when I can record with it...but will tell when I do. Thanks for the input

Profile picture for user Ben Davis
Member for
3 years 11 months

Ben Davis Wed, 09/19/2018 - 14:49

Kurt Foster, post: 459053, member: 7836 wrote: i think it sounds pretty damn good. i like the song too! good stuff. where in Oregon are you? I'm in Springfield.

PDX is home

Profile picture for user pcrecord
Member for
8 years 4 months

pcrecord Wed, 09/19/2018 - 16:03

I'm back to the studio. I can hear what bouldersound is saying. But I'd go a bit further. The rithme guitar is in the center with the vocal.. If you make it fatter, you risk stealing space to the vocal.
Also there isn't anything in the left channel for a while.. I think the acoustic can go there and the solo acoustic that does melodies should go with the vocal in the center.. I know it might be to conventional for some, but try and decide for yourself.
Good job on not compressing too much.

Profile picture for user Ben Davis
Member for
3 years 11 months

Ben Davis Wed, 09/19/2018 - 16:43

pcrecord, post: 459061, member: 46460 wrote: I'm back to the studio. I can hear what bouldersound is saying. But I'd go a bit further. The rithme guitar is in the center with the vocal.. If you make it fatter, you risk stealing space to the vocal.
Also there isn't anything in the left channel for a while.. I think the acoustic can go there and the solo acoustic that does melodies should go with the vocal in the center.. I know it might be to conventional for some, but try and decide for yourself.
Good job on not compressing too much.

Not conventional for me certainly... ...but I can see where you are coming from...I'm always panning instuments with break to 9 and 3 O'clock respectively ...like mando one side and guitar the other

I did start out with the first guitar fills on the left and it remains there thru the song.....Mando tremolo to the right...

I'll mess around in the future with solos in the middle and see how it sits

Profile picture for user Ben Davis
Member for
3 years 11 months

Ben Davis Wed, 09/19/2018 - 16:50

Ben Davis, post: 459059, member: 50672 wrote: PDX is home

and also...thanks for the kind comment on the song itself.

x