Skip to main content

Hi,

I know this is a pretty simple and basic question that I should know, but I don't, so here I am.

I own a Focusrite ISA428 which I have been using for a couple of years now. I am just in the midst of setting up a new patchbayand I am starting to run a little thin on available connection points.

In addition to standard mic preamp I/O's, the ISA 428 has an Insert send and return and 1 line level input on each channel. I understand what the purpose is of an insert is but I don't know what the line level inputs are for.

What are they typically used for? Can you give me any examples of when and how they would be used?

Thanks

Comments

anonymous Mon, 11/13/2006 - 09:36

moonbaby wrote: I would think that the reason would be to take advantage of the units ADC option. You can run, say, synths/samplers through the analog preamp sections and get them to come out through the digital outputs of the box...

But wouldn't you just use the regular inputs or even the instrument inputs for that purpose? I am pretty sure that every input on that unit will run through the ADC.

I don't think that is it, but hey, I have been wrong before

moonbaby Mon, 11/13/2006 - 11:10

NO. The XLR microphone input is designed to boost a low-level (-50dBm, -40dBm or so) signal, the "DI" instrument input is designed to boost the low-level signal from an electric guitar or bass (-30dBm or so). The line level input should be able to handle a +4dBm output from a mixer or "professional" keyboard/tone generator output. If you were to plug something like that into the mic or DI inputs, chances are very high that "clipping" the initial gain stage would occur. Not cool.