Skip to main content

Hi!

I’ve finally got my business running quite nice and euros are coming in… it’s time to spend it all before my girlfriend wastes it on shoes! ;)

I have a small studio where I do mostly commercials and tv-themes. Since I also want to do some rock stuff that I can’t record in my “closet”, I’ve decided to build a mobile recording rack.

So far I have a laptop, RMEfireface, and following mic preamp’s:

Millennia Origin (thanks Kurt for recommending this, its just what I needed!)
ISA 428 with AD-expansion (just because these are relatively cheap in Europe!)
Sebatron vmp-4000 (getting one this month, can’t wait!)

Ok, here is why I turn to all of you at RO…. What pre should I get next?

I’m thinking something colorful since Millennia is very clean, ISA is quite clean, and I think Seb will be something in the middle but not extremely colorful.

The pre should shine on rock-style drums. And it has to be rack-mountable. Maybe Api 3124 or Ams-Neve 1073 dpa? Or great River mp-2nv?

Sebatron , Great River and even API are all not that well-known here in Finland, so that’s also one thing to think about. A Neve-unit in my rack could get me more clients... + they have a dealer in Finland so it would be the simple way to go.

So, what would you recommend? Api, Neve or GR? Or something else? All of these 3 are in the same price range when shipped to finland and all the customs duties and taxes being paid. (well, Api is slightly more expensive, but its 4ch)

Ok, I'm finally finished, sorry for a long post and thanks for wasting your time on me!

All thoughts are highly appreciated!

Comments

lorenzo gerace Fri, 07/08/2005 - 05:27

That seems a good choice, I guess you'll be happy 8) I'm planning to do the same exact thing: I already have the 428, and as soon as I get the AD option I'll also get the 3124+ to have 4 additional channels of high quality and different color; it seems that we do similar thing, as I have the gear loaded in my mobile rack together with another set of pres (Octopre also from Focusrite) and a Mackie SDR2496 HD recorder, Sony DAT and HHB CD burner. I'm searching the internet for a digital mixer (like a Yamaha 03D) that will allow me to have a flexible monitoring solutions, as I move around gigs in theaters and concert halls a lot.

Hope it helps

L.G.

Guest Fri, 07/08/2005 - 18:12

protone wrote: 4channels in 1U saves my valuable rackspace!

Good thinking, but wait til you see how much that baby weighs. Sheesh
It like a 1 inch flat metal brick, and then some. Same with the Great River. Great stuff, but your rack gets HEAVY quick. Too quick
IMO Anymore than 4 single channel pre's that weigh that much, and you might need a back dotor at the end of your next session.
Just a thought
Good luck!