Skip to main content

Looking for Pro Tools 9 download ?

I need to get a hold of Pro Tools 9 so that i can use my Pro Tools 101 DVD with it as I'm studying it in college just now but i dont have an m box to use with pro tools 8, is there a place i can get a demo of pro tools 9 or whatever ? let me know please if you can help. O hh i have a Pc btw, thanks

Comments

Davedog Thu, 03/10/2011 - 10:12

Why dont you just buy it like everyone else? Cracked software is verbotten on this site.....unless I am mistaken about what you're asking. Make it clear please because if you're asking for a 'free' handout without ownership transfer, I'll 86 you from this site without hesitation.

Not to be harsh, but this is someones livelihood....the designers, the manufacturers, the guys boxing things up in the warehouse for shipment....etc...

We, at R.O., support these people. And discourage any and all attempts to bandy about cracked or illegal software, hardware, songs, etc etc etc...

Being a 'student' doesnt give you privileges beyond legalities.

diamonddog86 Thu, 03/10/2011 - 10:16

There seems to be a problem with peoples attitude on these forums sometimes i must say. I said i want a demo version if one exists, im only asking for a little help so i can use my pro tools 101 disk to learn more for the test, im a skint student with no money to buy an mbox for pro tools 8 and no money to buy pro tools 9, i dont want a cracked version.

Davedog Thu, 03/10/2011 - 10:36

This has nothing to do with "attitude"....this has to do with supporting and protecting the rights of people who are part of this industry. We do not condone or support in ANY way, the use of cracked software or hardware on this site. You can take this personally if you want, but the wording of your post didnt indicate exactly where you were coming from and my warning to you is the same as it has been for many years now. You dont like it, move on. But understand where we are coming from in issuing this in no uncertain terms.

BTW....ANY issuance of a previously registered software such as ProTools (the number doesnt matter) requires a transfer of ownership. Without this, it is considered 'cracked'. I'm sure there are thousands of versions out there that are being used in this way. That doesnt make it right.

I'm surprised that your school doesnt have the academic version of this software available to you. Most companies make a version for students. ProTools calls theirs PT Essential. Its a limited version but will do all the things any other version will do within limits...

So, what was my attitude?

diamonddog86 Thu, 03/10/2011 - 10:40

They do have it on there macs but i have limited time to use the rooms with the software within the 2 days i have to prepare myself for the test, to be honest the college should really be giving us more than 2 days to study for it but what can we do.

Do you know if i can get a demo version of pro tools anywhere then ? preferably version 9 because as far as i know thats the only one i dont need an interface for ?

TheJackAttack Thu, 03/10/2011 - 11:22

You have no idea what things cost obviously. Welcome to graduating from being a child sucking off of your parents and becoming an adult. Things cost money.

Pro Tools 8 and earlier will ONLY WORK WITH A DIGI/AVID DEVICE. Pro Tools 9 will work with any interface but costs $600 actual retail. Pro Tools M-Powered is PT 8 and earlier and will work with approved shitty M-Audio devices. That cost money even though the quality is meh.

Here, let me hold your hand some more and google "Pro Tools" and "Academic" and I come up with:
[[url=http://[/URL]="http://www.avid.com…"]Avid | Pro Tools 9 Academic Software[/]="http://www.avid.com…"]Avid | Pro Tools 9 Academic Software[/]

Maybe I've trained too many boot damn Privates and maybe I have a teenage son at home, but I'm not into teenage attitude. Settle down and learn the value of knowledge and the value of the dollar or Euro or Yen or whatever.

JesterMasque Fri, 03/11/2011 - 21:35

It all stems from a failure of our educational system to teach kids how to learn. "Memorize and regurgitate" is all they know. They are given all of the answers to memorize. There is a reason why ACT scores have plummeted in the past decade. It's not because we are loosing brain mass. We are only taught WHAT "X" is, not how to FIND "X," which is precisely what the ACT tests.

Sorry, I know this post is probably borderline, but it's just something I'm very passionate about.
Rant over.

Davedog Sat, 03/12/2011 - 03:50

JesterMasque, post: 366217 wrote: Not to beat a dead horse, but I was a seriously cocky sob when I first started here and I never was so belligerent as to disrespect the masterful knowledge keepers on this FREE and RESOURCEFUL forum. Although, I was (and still am a little bit) afraid of davedog, lol.

Ahhhhh....I'm just a sweetheart with a Harley and a gun........

tunes Tue, 03/15/2011 - 21:24

Discount software and paying dues

diamonddog86, post: 366076 wrote: I need to get a hold of Pro Tools 9 so that i can use my Pro Tools 101 dvd with it as im studying it in college just now but i dont have an m box to use with pro tools 8, is there a place i can get a demo of pro tools 9 or whatever ? let me know please if you can help. O hh i have a Pc btw, thanks

diamonddog86, post: 366080 wrote: There seems to be a problem with peoples attitude on these forums sometimes i must say. I said i want a demo version if one exists, im only asking for a little help so i can use my pro tools 101 disk to learn more for the test, im a skint student with no money to buy an mbox for pro tools 8 and no money to buy pro tools 9, i dont want a cracked version.

Ok Diamond Dog, for starters you said "is there a place I can get a demo or whatever" (See above I made it bold to help you find it.) It's that last part "or whatever" that people are reacting to. We know the drill only too well. You haven't been a member long and the first thing you do is post looking for a copy of PT 9. You don't list where you live so we can only assume you are trying to fly under the radar.

If you want to people to take you seriously you need to come to the party unveiled. People trust you a lot more that way. You say you are a student so put that in your profile or when posting mention the college so we have enough information to address your question properly. For example if you said you were in Dallas, Miami or L.A. someone might be able to tell you places that you could go to get some free time. Heck if you were in my city I might even let you come over and use my system.

Just so you know, you aren't flying under the radar. Your ip is probably logged. When you install software most of it "phones home" to check for updates, some check for legitimate licenses. Download a program called Zone Alarm to fully understand what is trying to connect to the internet from your pc. There may be others but I am a Mac guy so that's all I can tell you about.

I have a few suggestions for you on how to solve your problem but I wanted to cover some things that no one pointed out. I am going to assume you aren't looking for bootleg software but just for fun lets assume you are.

Do you really want to put something on your computer that doesn't come from a legitimate source? Doing so could put your system at risk for viruses or malware. Or equally as dangerous - make your system unstable or prone to crashing. I can't tell you how many guys used to try and give me cracked version of plug-ins and within a few minutes of making the offer, tell me how they work great but sometimes they crash or cause Pro Tools to crash. Something is wrong here.

It's well known that some record labels have been seeding the file sharing sites with bogus (and dangerous) material to try and overcome piracy. It's also well known that they are going after people and you may think you have gotten away because it's been a year or two since you "shared" something but in reality you are already part of a permanent record that should they decide they want to investigate you, you will be very easy to find because of all the ip logging that goes with properly securing a website or is a necessity when you are an ISP. In fact if you have practiced pirating stuff, they may already have you on their radar but just haven't gotten to the second batch of a thousand suits to file for this months cases. He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword. People don't ever seem to understand how much overhead brain power it requires to live like Robin Hood.

I find it amusing that some of the worst offenders of using illegitimate software scream the loudest when someone rips them off. They say things like "I don't have any money right now, I can't afford it" then when someone takes something of theirs they cry bloody murder about how wrong it is. Why is this any different?

I am going to bet you haven't even asked the Lab Proctor about getting extra time in the lab. I am also going to bet you want your own copy so you can sit in the comfort of your home and work instead of having to go all the way to the lab to get any work done. I know it's a drag but sometimes if you want something bad enough you have to work extremely hard to get it - much harder than anyone else around you seems to be working. Sometimes you will face unbelievable obstacles trying to reach your destination and learning now - while you are in college how to get around the obstacles - will serve you well after you are out of college. (You would not believe how much!) Learning to be efficient now will help you later when you have less time, and even less resources then you 'think' you really have.

I am sure they based the lab time on what they have found is necessary to complete the course and pass the test. Talk to the instructor if you feel it's not enough time. And when you get there to work in the lab, have your act together; Make a list of the things you want to cover or go through the book page by page or the dvd chapter by chapter, if you don't understand something stop and clear up the confusion. Don't go forward until you understand. Don't go into the lab then start screwing around talking with your friends, a huge time waster, or recording something that really isn't a lab exercise. FOCUS!

If you only have a certain amount of time in the lab work hard at being efficient. Maybe see if there is a partner that can work with you on stuff you are having trouble with or maybe a person who passed the course that can review the material with you.

Ok enough of the "talk"...

As someone stated before look for Academic copies. In fact if it's a course your college offers they may have the materials right there at your campus book store already discounted for you. Just stop by with your student ID. Or check nearby colleges.

You can call Avid if your campus bookstores don't have it or search on Amazon.com. There is also eBay. Did you say you have an Mbox? So didn't you get PT 7 or 8 with your MBox? If so you are eligible for an upgrade price. You can check with your local music stores on discounts off of that price too. PT 9 currently cost about $349.00 I believe but I have seen some stores discounting it to $249.00. Call 13 of your friends and ask each if you can borrow twenty dollars for a couple of weeks. 13 times $20.00 is $260.00. There it is, just what you need to cover the cost. (Don't forget to make a list of who you owe and PAY THEM BACK). Personally I don't borrow money but maybe you are a person that can live with that and make it work for you. Are your parents giving you money for entertainment and food while you are at college? Time to stop eating and going out to movies. Rice and beans aren't too bad for a couple of weeks and you feel great when you know you did it on your own through sacrifice.

If you are looking for some free time - check with some local studios and see if you can come in and clean up after sessions or bring bagels in the morning for sessions in exchange for some free time. Studios are struggling right now so rooms are more available and they really can't afford to pay for staff so you have an advantage. You may also find a nice gig at the same time!

Take some time to think about it and really explore all your resources and I bet you will come up with some brilliant ideas.

bobbo Fri, 03/18/2011 - 07:16

I think schools that offer recording engineering classes for the masses is a joke, not a poke at teachers, more a poke at the type of kids these days taking these classes. 90% of these kids are just going to learn so they can be the next dude in his bedroom making crappy all fake lifeless recordings of horribly talented metalcore/screamo bands. I think music production should be for kids that want to succeed, have a strong business sense, (meaning teaming up a ton of business classes along with tinkering with fixing shitty band's mistakes....) I think there needs to be more filtering done to only allow kids with a strong business sense and will to work and be creative. and not just shove turds into classes, show them how to program everything, and fix everyone's mistakes.

Recording is in such a shitter these days, where's the originality, I love listening to the more 'indie' style bands because they actually experiment with their recording, and use awesome preamps/comps/eqs to give that great color to the recording. and most of the other genres all sound boring and generic and don't catch my ear as like any older recording, that has just an awesome sound to it, that just makes it organic and just easy to keep relistening to it.

Point is, if turds, like this kid, isn't wanting to do what needs done for a career he's interested in (since he's obviously paying to learn it in school) then he should man up, and do what needs done, and not get on a forum asking for software. I would have just booted the topic. i only went to this posting because i was curious why someone would post on this forum asking where they could get software for "free or whatever". and then the kid actually argued and complained a bit. He's not trying to get help from this board, so if i were a mod i would have 86'd this dude just for not properly using this board.

rant over.

anonymous Wed, 03/23/2011 - 13:09

A little harsh for a moderator

For a moderator, don't you think you're being a little hostile? The very first post made by Diamonddog included his question asking if there was a "demo" he could get. The only word he used related to illegal copies of protools was download, which just doesn't seem to justify your violent response. I too am a student and understand the difficulties of not being able to afford this equipment. Your attitude that he was referring to is your hostility, like a lion ready to pounce on its prey.
I agree that it is unfair to the creators of the software to steal it and I understand your frustration (considering there must be tons of people asking those questions on here), but I feel that might have been a little cruel, seeing as this kid's trying to get protools and can't afford any of it, the last thing he needs is somebody to yell at him for asking a question. We're all just looking to learn as much as possible so we can use protools, etc... to our fullest capability.
Have a nice day!
Mark

Nothing left to do now, but smile! :smile:

Davedog, post: 366086 wrote: This has nothing to do with "attitude"....this has to do with supporting and protecting the rights of people who are part of this industry. We do not condone or support in ANY way, the use of cracked software or hardware on this site. You can take this personally if you want, but the wording of your post didnt indicate exactly where you were coming from and my warning to you is the same as it has been for many years now. You dont like it, move on. But understand where we are coming from in issuing this in no uncertain terms.

BTW....ANY issuance of a previously registered software such as ProTools (the number doesnt matter) requires a transfer of ownership. Without this, it is considered 'cracked'. I'm sure there are thousands of versions out there that are being used in this way. That doesnt make it right.

I'm surprised that your school doesnt have the academic version of this software available to you. Most companies make a version for students. ProTools calls theirs PT Essential. Its a limited version but will do all the things any other version will do within limits...

So, what was my attitude?

tunes Wed, 03/23/2011 - 15:24

New here? Relax, take your shoes off, may I get you something to drink?

markrosenbergmusic, post: 367036 wrote: For a moderator, don't you think you're being a little hostile? The very first post made by Diamonddog included his question asking if there was a "demo" he could get. The only word he used related to illegal copies of protools was download, which just doesn't seem to justify your violent response. I too am a student and understand the difficulties of not being able to afford this equipment. Your attitude that he was referring to is your hostility, like a lion ready to pounce on its prey.
I agree that it is unfair to the creators of the software to steal it and I understand your frustration (considering there must be tons of people asking those questions on here), but I feel that might have been a little cruel, seeing as this kid's trying to get protools and can't afford any of it, the last thing he needs is somebody to yell at him for asking a question. We're all just looking to learn as much as possible so we can use protools, etc... to our fullest capability.
Have a nice day!
Mark

Nothing left to do now, but smile! :smile:

Hi Mark,

Welcome! (I see you joined this month). Honestly I don't think his response was "violent" as you indicated. Terse, Brusque? Even that might be stretching it. I can't say because I am pretty new here as well and don't know him personally nor have I had enough time to evaluate his personality from his posts.

I would say his response was honest and direct if anything. Certainly not as confrontational as some other boards and mailing lists I am also on.

Nice smile by the way!
:cool:
John

hueseph Tue, 04/26/2011 - 04:42

daceymathers, post: 0 wrote: X-CETERA

Really now? Are you going to go there? We do not approve of this kind of talk here.

In fact the only place to download ProTools is from Avid. That is it. Encouraging others to download ProTools from anywhere else is just going to get you banned. Don't do it. Don't talk about it. Not here. I don't care what you do on your spare time but here we keep that kind of talk off of the forums. PERIOD. I think we'd all appreciate if you stop take that into consideration.

Davedog Tue, 04/26/2011 - 17:02

markrosenbergmusic, post: 367036 wrote: For a moderator, don't you think you're being a little hostile? The very first post made by Diamonddog included his question asking if there was a "demo" he could get. The only word he used related to illegal copies of protools was download, which just doesn't seem to justify your violent response. I too am a student and understand the difficulties of not being able to afford this equipment. Your attitude that he was referring to is your hostility, like a lion ready to pounce on its prey.
I agree that it is unfair to the creators of the software to steal it and I understand your frustration (considering there must be tons of people asking those questions on here), but I feel that might have been a little cruel, seeing as this kid's trying to get protools and can't afford any of it, the last thing he needs is somebody to yell at him for asking a question. We're all just looking to learn as much as possible so we can use protools, etc... to our fullest capability.
Have a nice day!
Mark

Nothing left to do now, but smile! :smile:

Hostile? Not intentionally, but I am very ADAMANT about keeping these pages free from any notion that ANYONE can come on here and ask for something like a free download to someone elses' software.

Perhaps you simply dont understand. I understand, and will continue to warn ANYONE attempting or suggesting such a thing and will do so with as forceful a language as I deem necessary to get the point across. React however you want . Interpret however you will, but one post simply to criticize doesnt make you an expert and it certainly doesnt give you ownership or responsibilities that come with running or owning a website of this level. Think for a minute of the ramifications that would ensue were we not as diligent and as forthright in policing these pages of just such a thing.

Harsh? You bet your ass.

audiokid Sun, 07/17/2011 - 11:23

You can buy the full installers here for $19.95 here:
[="http://shop.avid.com/store/product.do?product=307036370320576"]Avid | Pro Tools 9 Replacement Discs[/]="http://shop.avid.co…"]Avid | Pro Tools 9 Replacement Discs[/]

You can find the download updates posted here (not the full installers)
[[url=http://="http://duc.avid.com…"]Technical Alerts - Avid Audio Forums[/]="http://duc.avid.com…"]Technical Alerts - Avid Audio Forums[/]

x

Register