Skip to main content

Hey there,
Back in 2001 I bought a new Mackie CR1604 VLZ and from the beginning I've had trouble with it. The left channel has consistently been inconsistent; crackling and cutting out at times. I have to crank input through it to get it to come back to life. Also Channel 1 has never worked. In addition, now Channels 15 & 16 don't work at all thanks to a repairman who didn't know what he was doing. I've always been careful with the mixer, not exposing it to dust or smoke, not moving it much at all.

So I'm wondering if this thing is worth getting fixed or if I should sell it. I would disclose all the problems if I were to sell it, but would anyone buy it? I live in San Francisco and I don't know of a good, reliable repair place.

What would folks recommend that I do? If I were to buy another mixer, I don't want to spend more than $1000 and it would need to be 16 channels. But I don't think I'd buy a Mackie again even though everyone says they are "reliable workhorses".
thanks
Joez

Comments

moonbaby Wed, 06/29/2011 - 09:02

I have owned and used several ALLEN & HEATH mixers since they were first imported through an Atlanta-based distributor in 1974. They are now made in China and the mic pre's don't seem to have the headroom as the Onyx line from Mackie does.

You should first check out the Mackie forum to see if others are having the same issue as you are experiencing. It may be that you simply have a bad ribbon cable inside the mixer. They can also recommend service options for you.

audios Wed, 06/29/2011 - 10:12

I agree. The pre's are lacking a little since earlier models. But....I don't use the Allen & Heath mic pres anyway. Apogee, NEVE and SSL 4000G outboard along with a Trident "A" range for live music recording in studio. The Allen & Heath is actually used for remote recording with the rack of pres and EQ. It has been perfect for Jazz trios and light MOR.