Skip to main content

hey all, i use the 163x in my bass rig, and when my buddy put my rack in the car's backseat, he closed the door w/ two of the racks' power wires (unknowningly) dangling out. Oblivious to this, i drove home on the highway w/ my head (svt-3pro), and compressor's power cables dragging. The only noise i noticed was on the city streets leading to my house, and it sounded just like an aging ball-bearing, like on a skateboard, roller-skate, or car. Since my civic is approaching 100k miles, i didn't feel the need to stop until i got home, to check it out, even though i acknowledged the noise to myself.
well, i saw a marked up IEC cable type, 3 prong end still intact, and a ripped off cable from the dbx. the stripped copper ends tell me it was likely pinched in the door, and then run-over, or ripped out along the way.
I'd much rather try to replace the plug, even tho the stock, 2 prong power wire is half the length it used to be. Only because my power conditioner has vacant outlets, and more importantly, the 163x has like a 'built in?' other end, so i'd probably have to take it's cover off, and then solder a completely new power cable. If i have to take it apart i will, or just send to a repair person.
Question: is there a reputable 2 prong plug that you guys have used and would/wouldn't recommend. Soldering isn't an issue, neither is solder-less, as long as it works decently.

Thanks!
kyle

Topic Tags

Comments

RemyRAD Mon, 07/09/2012 - 12:04

Everything that you'd need is at your local hardware store/Radio Shaft. You certainly don't want to take this to a professional service center. The cost of the repair will outweigh the cost of the unit. I supply just this particular device to numerous clients that need a simple dynamic range control or. And as I recall, though I don't have one, I don't believe it had a phased 2 prong electric plug? Though it could have and that would be my only concern. It does not utilize a computer switching power supply but a simple linear supply with a transformer. And you should be able to find a two-pronged electric plug. If not? Just cutting off the wire from an old lamp, solder and electrical tape should do quite nicely. Then you can beat your friend over the head with your guitar for having been so sloppy. Unfortunately this handy audio device does not utilize an EIAJ. electrical socket and replaceable cord like most desktop computers utilize. And like what most professional audio equipment utilizes. But hey, even if you don't have an old plant cord, you could purchase one of those three-pronged computer type power cords. You remove the end that plugs into the computer. When you strip back the wires, just don't bother to connect the green ground wire.

If you have a voltmeter you should use this upon completion of the repair. And to test this correctly, you would NOT plug the 163 into your guitar amplifier. Instead, with both of them plugged into the Edison AC power outlet, you do not want to be touching both chassis at the same time. Turn on your guitar amplifier and make sure the 163 is also on. Take your voltmeter and set it to AC voltages. Take your test leads and touch one test lead to the ground point of the chassis of your guitar amplifier. Take the other test lead and touch it to the chassis or ground sleeve of the input or output connector on the 163. If you see any voltage at all with both devices plugged into the same wall outlets, it shouldn't be more than a couple of volts. If you have a hot chassis on your guitar amplifier and you observe 110 Volts, you are going to need to flip the AC wires, 163 before you plug everything in together. Again, you do not want to physically be touching both chassis otherwise, you could be killed. But I really don't think you'll have to worry about this. But you always want to make certain. This is another reason why every rock band should have a AC voltmeter always handy. Even at a nightclub gig where someone else is providing the PA system. Because I've seen people nearly get killed because the PA guy was an idiot. Proper grounding is there to prevent you from getting killed. Some people will plug in a system any which way just to get it operational. Never mind that the guy whose hands are on his guitar strings goes up to a microphone and when his lips hit the microphone, it will be his grand finale. Because you can die very quickly with 110 V to your brain. But the most guitarists and PA guys don't have to worry about that since most of them have no brains.

I saw an SM58 get welded to a stainless steel beer cooler in a bar. Also blowing up the PA system completely.
Mx. Remy Ann David

kmetal Sat, 07/14/2012 - 00:38

Thanks remy, gonna have ta pickup a voltmeter. then carefully do test procedure. LOL i can spare my friend the beating cuz it's his compressor. I haven't broken the noise gate i'm lending him, so the ball is in his court. After a 4 or 5 year tunure at a nightclub, it's amazing the ingorance of dj's not being able to hookup to house RCA connections lableled 'DJ-L' 'DJ-R'/soundpeople 'Main L,R'. Fortunately the house grounding was right, and there is only 1 or 2 bar gigs i've done, in other places, that 'shocked' performer electrically. Good thing the artist i was working for was a how do you say 'pri-madonna', or jerk?
As always enjoyable, thanks.
ps. i think an adapted sm58 beer opener would be cool decor in a rock club.

RemyRAD Sun, 07/22/2012 - 21:58

I haven't been around lately since I've been working on this editing of a documentary film.

Adapted SM58 as a beer opener? They need no adaptation. He just utilize the XLR side at the base without the XLR plugged in. Works great! Screws up the finish though. Either way, it will provide for years of delicious beer drinking.

Hard to open up a can with those however. That's why God created tabs.
Mx. Remy Ann David