Skip to main content

What's your current take on these two designs? My biggest concern would be in the PSU ( power supply unit) . Do you think yours is compromised to save space in comparison to the 19" rack model(s).
I have an 8 rack SPL Rackpack and love it. The PSU is huge, same one as with my Neos. Its built like a tank, but this particular rack is not built to host other 500 series products.

I'm thinking I wouldn't mind adding a second 500 series system here to host a few other products like API and GR, Millennia.

What are you using?
Any issues? noise, not quiet as good as the 19" version?
Do you think they suck more power than the rack versions.

Anything else I'm missing?

Topic Tags

Comments

pan60 Mon, 12/16/2013 - 11:48

I'll say straight up not all these are equal! I am not a Radial fan.
I have units from a number of manufactures and have checked or had my tech check out others.
the ones i find to have the best build hands down;
API, BAE, Purple.
Not sure way there would a power supply concern with any of these. Very few modules are going to get even close to what is allotted, so I say a non issue.
As for noise, I some of that could have to do with a studios wiring, if you don't have noise issue with other gear, you should be fine. The Purple design is dead quite as well.

The issue I have seen concerning noise have had to do with non approved VPR Alliance modules.

I racks I like I have purchased and use here, API, BAE, Purple. I have others but I think these are about as goods as I have seen.

audiokid Mon, 12/16/2013 - 12:22

Thanks for the tips here guys.

( from a layman's POV) The reason my lust for big v rails and larger power supplies is:

Preamps require a power supply and if you have 8 of them in one of these 500 series racks, I've not experience this because I look for gear with good PSU. But, I've heard from others over the years that they experience inconsistencies with lower end builds, especially wall warts and comparisons. So, I have always avoided that to save me ever experiencing it. As an example, I got a Warm Audio pre here and never even opened the box once I saw that crapper wall wart. Not even hooking it up.

I actually invested ( and prefer) 8 channel converters over 24 channel converters in one box.
I have no idea if the PS has anything to do with the high quality sound but , that is a big reason why I bought them. I've also noticed 2 channel converters sound better than 8. Does this have anything to do with their PSU?
The biggest change in audio came when I heard consistence between channels and , is it phase? So, I'm not a tech guy, but I do know what I hear, just don't know why it is happening, good or bad. I'm a musicians that got tired of relying on others.

Poor power supply = to "rob" energy from one frequency range in order to boost another range. I think preamps, require really good power supplies. Anyone else confirm this?

mberry593 Tue, 12/17/2013 - 10:16

I have been using a 500 box from I J Research. The design is sort of midway between the two concepts. The box is powered by an external raw supply that connects to the frame via a 5-pin XL cable. I built mine in a box with a hefty transformer & filters. This is nice as it keeps the mains power far away from any low level circuits.

Now, here is the nice part..... There is a set of regulators on the backplane for each set of 2 slots. If you don't mind wasting half the slots with blank panels, you get a set of regulators for each slot. Not only is this dedicated approach nice, but it also results in very short traces between the regulator outputs and the actual module......always a good thing.

Now, here is the bad part..... I. J. has not been shipping anything recently. In fact the link to his store doesn't seem to work anymore. You might try to reach him on Facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/ijresearch

I haven't had any success.

Occasionally some of his stuff comes up on ebay. Good luck!