Skip to main content

I tied to delete this post but couldn't get rid of title...sorry, newbie mistake. But while I'm hear, this is what it said.

Theres a company (Black Lion Audio) that mods the digi002 racks with higher quality pres and converters as well as other components. Was wondering if anybody here has dealt with them or heard good things about them?

Topic Tags

Comments

Goose3 Mon, 03/07/2011 - 15:43

I'm guessing you don't mean dropping a boss 429 engine, painting flames, and taking it to a car show.

But since your post now only contains the word "thanks" ...who knows maybe thats what your planning on doing.

Disappointing post for a topic that caught my eye.

And while I'm on my soap box, with "funk" in your name shouldn't you be leaving a one word post like peace out, just kickin, or stay groovy?

Keepin it real! ;)

BobRogers Mon, 03/07/2011 - 17:07

Sorry you haven't gotten any hits yet. I don't know of any of our most active contributors who have dealt with Black Lion. I have an 002R. I've considered the Black Lion mod but have not gone there. I've read good things about the mods, and I like the fact that the A/B comparisons on their web site don't exaggerate the improvement.

I'm thinking about moving to another interface at some point rather than doing a mod. I've concentrated on buying outboard preamps and using those through the 002R.

BobRogers Mon, 03/07/2011 - 18:14

Long and tortured history over about 5 years. I got the Focusrite Octopre with the converter card when I got the 002R so I could work with 16 channels. Like the 002R it's no better than you would expect at the price range. As time went on I got a Groove Tubes Brick and an FMR RNP and RNC. Slightly different flavors than the Focusrite and Digi preamps but no great revelations. Then I got an API 3124+ and a Langevin DVC. Lots more money. But you can PUSH these suckers. And when you push then they sound different. Better. They have a bigger linear range and the nonlinear range sounds good (if that's what you want). With the lower level preamps, they have a (smaller) linear range in which they all sound about the same (and really basically the same as the expensive preamps in their (larger) linear ranges) and in their nonlinear range they are not so good.

So while I may trade out the 002 at some point I'm more interested in high quality outboard preamps. I'm looking at some of the UA products right now - the 4-710d is getting my attention as a replacement for the octopre.

mfunk49 Tue, 03/08/2011 - 00:15

Just ordered the 4-710d!! So I guess i wont be using BLA. But cant wait for my new toy! Im sure ill be back asking you guys the best way to use it:smile:! Thanks all for your input and opinions. The option to go tube or solid state was a big factor...as well as built in compression. (and the built in converters too!) Though, it appears the compressor is very simplified with only 2 options (flip a switch for slow or fast). From the manual:

(13) Comp – This three-position switch controls the channel’s 1176-style analog compressor. The
compressor has a compression ratio of 4:1 and the threshold is 10 dBu.
When in the up (FAST) position, the compressor attack time is 0.3 ms and the release time is 100 ms.

When in the down (SLOW) position, the attack time is 2.0 ms and the release time is 1100 ms.

Could be limiting if a guy likes to really tweek his comp, but for me itll be handy not overtweeking as i tend to do!

Thanks All!

BobRogers Tue, 03/08/2011 - 10:47

Steve@Russo, post: 365887 wrote: I wouldnt pour money into 10 year old technology like that

In some way's I'd agree, but you are replacing the parts - the converter chips and the op amps - that have aged or were never anything to brag about. Things like power supplies, buttons, knobs, jacks are stable technology and these aren't bad on the 002R. Not sure it's worth paying Black Lion, but as the price on these drops down to nil I can see them becoming a nice bed for DIY projects.