Skip to main content

I was just browsing through some posts elsewhere on the net and I was surprised by how many people hate this mic. I know the TLM-103 has its critics, but I suppose it's a matter of taste, and of course it has earned a lot of admirers too. I'm just wondering how many people here have opinions on the 127.

Thanks,
John Stafford

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Tue, 12/21/2004 - 14:19

Hi, people! Help!
I need an advice for my decision: RODE NTK/ K2 or AKG C 414 B-ULS/C 4000B?
My aim is to record acoustic instruments:
1 Nylon and steel guitars, tar, saz, sitar, dulcimer, kanun, celtic harp
2 Cello, violin, fiddles, hurdy-gurdy
3 Vocals, different fluts, bagpipe, mizmar and other reed instruments
4. Dawul, darboukka, djembe,dholak, tambourin, bells, shakers and other low- and hi percussion.

I would like to have a SPL GainStation1 and two mics, a small condensor AKG C 451B for categories 1 + 4 and a large condensor for categories 2 + 3 and partly 1 + 4 (celtic harp, nylon guitar; low percussion)
Which large condensor would you suggest? RODE NTK/ K2 or AKG C 414 B-ULS/C 4000B? More expensive equipment is not available for me right now.
Thanks alot

AudioGaff Tue, 12/21/2004 - 22:56

When the TLM103 first came out many pro's and internet regulars RAVED about how great it was. Many of the people that dis it now were among those that praised it as a great affordable pro mic. Some of those who used to sell it also had high praise for it and now that they don't sell it or now sell something else or that may make more money are the ones who now dis it. It is a cycle. The same thing happened to the C414-ULS. Do enough research and you will find that it happens to most products that have good early success.

maintiger Wed, 12/22/2004 - 11:38

people will knock anything- I don't know it its a craving for attention or what- the tlm 127 as well as the 103 are very useable mics- but hey I've seen people in this forum bash the U87 as well. Now, the 87 has been a staple in the industry for years and any 87 bashing has to be solely a craving for attention- if you don't like it, get something else. Its not like there arent any choicees out there

John Stafford Wed, 12/22/2004 - 18:32

I haven't used a U87 since I was in college a good few years back, and I loved it for female vocals. It was an older version, so I've never tried an 87 ai. What got me interested in the TLM-127 is that it's often described as a multi pattern TLM103, which of course was supposed to be like a single pattern U87, so I thought it might be something like a "TLM-87", should such a thing exist.

Even though I said that I've read surprisingly few good things about the TLM-127, I have noticed a TV station using this in situations where they used the 87 exclusively in the past. That got me sort of curious, as comments I've read from Neumann indicate that this is aimed at the 103 user more than as a modern alternative to the U87. I suppose they also have to counter the new -and cheaper- edition of the 414.

Thanks for the input.

John Stafford