Skip to main content

Currently running Sonar 6, Dell Pentium IV w/ MOTU 828 mkII firewire... and whatever stock sound card my computer has.

Whenever i try to set Sonar to run 24 bit 48 khz it says my sound card is incompatible or something and i'm forced to work in 16 bit 44.1... anyone know why i cant go to 24 bit? i havent done much research yet... is it just that i need better sound card? i figured the MOTU WAS the better sound card... it has 48 khz option and all...

Comments

hueseph Tue, 06/24/2008 - 14:56

My guess would be to go into Cuemix or whatever the control panel is for the MOTU and set it up as 24/48 then go into Sonar and load the MOTU ASIO driver as your sound device. It should automatically load at the samplerate that you set up. Sonar will likely run a diagnostic at this point to make sure that all is well.

Cucco Thu, 07/03/2008 - 07:13

As has already been suggested, you MUST tell your software that you want to use the MOTU as the soundcard.

I would recommend setting up a machine profile that disables your onboard soundcard for when you want to record and then re-enables when you want to do other stuff (games, etc.)

Just out of curiosity, why 48kHz? Are you doing video? If not and you're only doing audio, you're better off staying with 44.1 (albeit at 24 Bits). The resolution lost during sample rate conversion back to 44.1 (for CD) is worse greater than the resolution gained by bumping the sample rate up by >10%. If you want to explore higher sample rates, consider 88.2kHz.

Cheers-
Jeremy

x

User login