Skip to main content

I live in Norway and we have 230V in the powernet. The prices in Norway are pretty steep compared to USA so we save a lot of money by buying studiogear abroad. Usually the difference in voltage is not a problem since most of the gear have autoswitchable transformators.

BUT...

Right now I am thinking of buying a Lynx Aurora. And it can only be delivered in 110V version from usa. So now I wonder if buying a 110 to 230V converter will hurt the performance of the Aurora in any way?

I was thinking of something like this http://www.clasohlson.no/Product/Product.aspx?id=21570752

Comments

Link555 Wed, 12/12/2007 - 12:27

A step down transformer should not hurt the lynx Aurora. A offline switcher may introduce more switching noise into the power rails of the Aurora. However with proper filtering it should be just fine as well.
Bottom line you should be ok with step down transfomer you selected as long as it can provide enough current to the Aurora.
Assume losses are small then 100W should be ok

Although a quick serch:
http://www.soundpure.com/showProduct.do?id=603

"GENERAL

AC Power - 110 / 115 / 230 VAC, 70 watts, Size - 1.75" H x 19" W x 9" D,

"

It seems it can handle 230VAC?,

however it is 70W
So a 0.9 Amp (secondary side) step down transformer should work just fine.

Boswell Thu, 12/13/2007 - 04:53

The is an example of control freakery at Lynx. They make the gear switchable 115/230 internally by them but not by the user. They then control the supply of 230V units so that they do not get to US dealers.

However, a 230v to 115V genuine step-down transformer should work just fine. Don't use inverters or any other switching device. I think I would go for a transformer with a higher rating than 100W to allow more margin.

RemyRAD Thu, 12/13/2007 - 12:28

Boswell is quite correct. I would further recommend an UPS (uninterruptible power supply).

The best part of the step down transformer is that it also offers electrical isolation. This in itself will help to keep things cleaner and lower in noise.

I had to use the similar device when I took my API audio mixers to New Zealand. Those little step up/down transformers are generally good for 20 amps. Which is more than enough to power up your mixer, recorder and modestly powered speakers.

Ich bin In Berliner
Ms. Remy Ann David