Skip to main content

I want to augment the number of inputs on my 01v96 for live and (live)recording.

The OctoPre (with ADAT+AES/EBU module) looks attractive to me because of the dynamics controls before A/D conversion. The Onyx 800r would sound better + you can phase switch on all channels instead of just the first two. It would even carry me into the 192KHz era, though I usually work at 48KHz/24bit. Because of sound and connectivity I am leaning towards the Mackie. There are no inserts on it. I can of course do some compression and compensation of level within the 01v96. Both units cost about the same, so money is of no concern.

Anyone got a take on this?
Is the Onyx 800R a better buy than the OctoPre even without these dynamics controls?
Is there an even better unit that I do not know?

Comments

Boswell Thu, 04/05/2007 - 04:52

Forget 192KHz - that's not relevant with the 01V96. Phase switching can be done on all channels in the 01V, so that's not a factor in the comparison either.

It comes down to the quality of the preamps and whether you want any dynamic processing ahead of the A-D conversion. I've not tried the OctoPre, but I believe it has the same preamps as the FocusRite Platinum series, which are a poor relation to the top end FocusRite products. In contrast, the 800R is an excellent unit, and the preamps stand comparison with many expensive boutique products.

As for dynamics, I'm a great believer in having the option available of different dynamics for live FOH sound and recorded mixes, so I always take my direct recording feeds ahead of any dynamic processing or EQ needed for FOH sound in the venue. That means I personally would not give any weight to the presence of dynamic processing in an 8-channel expansion unit, but this is a matter of preference, as I would prefer my money to be going into the quality of preamps.