Skip to main content

Hi I am new here, and my next purchase for my home studio is a pair of active nearfield studio monitors .
My budget is about 2500 US Dollar .
I'm a little confused, when I listened in the local store and compared Genelec 8030 with Event 2030 my music sounded totally different .
The Genelecs where very accurate but with a thin bass . The Events sounded as they where only bass speakers .
I liked Genelec but I want more power in the bass, and I have no place in my room for a sub .Would be grateful for some advice .
On my website you can hear what kind of music I make : http://cajan.webs.c…"]Home - Cajan Music[/]="http://cajan.webs.c…"]Home - Cajan Music[/]

All the best

Comments

KurtFoster Mon, 09/10/2012 - 14:25

Well Trana, happy to meet you here at RO. The whole idea with studio monitors is not to have speakers that sound good but speakers that make your recordings sound good. That's why the NS10's were so popular. They sounded like crap to tell the truth but if you could get a mix to sound good on them, then it most likely would sound good on everything else. This is what is known as a mix that "travels" or "translates".

Another thing to keep in mind is monitors that work well in one environment may not work as well in others. It's important to match your monitors to the room you work in. Trial and error is the only way to work this one out. That's why a lot of studios / recordists have several pairs of monitors.

I'm sure many here will be more than happy to recomend some brands / models for your consideration. I like Tannoys, NS10's and Adams for a start. Yeah I know, not powered. Good luck.

Now please shoot me again, I'm still here. (5,586 posts, but only liked thrice)

trana Tue, 09/11/2012 - 01:13

Thanks Kurt , that was my guess ( and what I have understand from my google-search ) .Genelec revealed everything in my compositions , I could hear what I want to change in the mix .
So in december I´m going to compare Genelec 8040 with Focal Solo 6Be . ( I´m living on the countryside and it´s hard to find good studio stores ) What I´ve read about Focal Solo 6 Be they have a better bass sound but the same accurcy as Genelec .
Is the NS10 still at the market ? I can´t find them . Only HS8oM which they have in the local studio store .
My little room is a problem , I must have the monitors at the same table where I have the audio interface , synth , 2 monitor screens . And I have no place for a sub .

KurtFoster Tue, 09/11/2012 - 04:12

Focals are good imo. Same company that made woofers for KRK.

No NS-10s are no longer on the market. You have to find them used. The HS series speakers are supposed to be a replacement for them but I think they miss the mark a bit. They actually sound pretty good while the NS-10s don't.

Again imo, you should be careful trying to stuff too much low end into a small room, especially if you don't have a lot of good bass trapping and wall treatments like absorption / diffusion. You might be better of believe it or not without a sub.

RemyRAD Wed, 09/12/2012 - 18:22

Bookshelves make for great diffusion in an otherwise small and acoustically inferior environment. Great if they are ceiling to floor or a heavy plush chair beneath them, etc..

I like and I own KRK's, also like hearing those Focal's, which obviously have ties back to the latter. I like all JBL's. I find those Danish monitors too thin for me. Adams are interesting, nice. You might even want to look into FOSTEX 6301's. Because if it sounds good on those, it will sound good on everything. And they sit, very nicely on your desktop with the volume control on the front along with the on-off switch. They will tell you no lies.

And I will tell you no S H I T.
Mx. Remy Ann David

kmetal Sun, 09/16/2012 - 00:44

i use mackie HR8's (mk2) at home and they are tough, especially in the low end. i would not recommend them, but they do sound nice on well done mixes. I consider them just another set of hi-fi type speakers. room ect plays a bigger part but. eh, i wouldn't get them again. I'd use them for a surround setup if i had the money for a new entertainmemt system, but my bose/dennon/cambrige soundworks does fine so far. I personally don't like the pair of jbls i used for studio stuff they sounded 'cheap or plastic'. you won't find me buying a pair of moulded cab, room correction/make worse elsewhere, set. I have heard some nice mixes coming frmo those tho, it's just a matter of taste. Certainly in the live P.A realm, they (jbl) have well defined highs, and 'not blown out' thick lows.