Skip to main content

My 2 main vocal mics are an AT4033 and an SM58. Most of the time I wind up using the 4033 as I love the high end sparkle it has without being at all harsh in any way on my voice. So I am happy with it. That being said, I think I'm beginning to develop the gear addict syndrome that some of you talk about, and I have around $300 that I'm thinking of investing into a new mic. It'll primarily be another vocal and acoustic guitar mic and right now here's what I'm considering. I've never heard any of these mics.

ADK Hamberg - I've read good things about it (Davedog) and I understand it is somewhat of a darker mic. This is where I'm leaning right now because I figure it will give me a much different -but still good- option to my 4033.

Blue Baby Bottle- From what I've read it may be a little similar to the 4033. Cucco and many others certainly speak very highly of this mic and that's got me intrigued. After all, it was everyone's glowing reviews of the 4033 on this forum that led me to it. And that worked out pretty well for me.

Oktava MK319- What intrigues me most about this one is it can be had for under $100 on ebay. A lot of people speak highly of it too, and it can be modded fairly cheaply. My hesitation comes from some of Davedog's posts that say there is a huge discrepancy from mic to mic due to quality control issues.

Shure SM7- I think the main reason I don't already own one of these is I already have the SM58 and many people say it's not so different sounding. Other's argue that it's way better. Point being that it's close enough that there is a discussion. On the other hand, it's definitely the most respected mic on this list so I don't know? I don't want to have one just to have one, but maybe I should have one?

RODE NT1a/NT2- Almost forgot about this one. From what I've read though I'm not sure if my voice would come over good on one of these since they are rumoured to be boosted a lot in the upper mids. But their reputation can't be ignored. By the way, does it matter if you get one of the old ones (before they cut ties with China) instead of the newer ones?

I know the most important aspect is having the right tool for the source. So here's a link to what the source sounds like. http://myspace.com/…

I really appreciate any input. Thanks
- Larry

Comments

llatht Sat, 03/20/2010 - 16:01

leopoldolopes - Thanks for the suggestion. I think I want to stay in the LD category though. My 4033 is kind of in between LD and SD (3/4 inch) and the only true LCD I own is an AKG c3000b (which I never use).

Davedog - Don't know why I've never given much thought to the Shure condensers. They're that good huh? I think I may be able to find the KSM32 for close to what I have right now on ebay. Never heard of Violet Designs or Avantone, but I found both of them online and they're both very very intriguing. Looks like they usually only make higher end stuff?? The Avantone model especially caught my eye as I've often wondered what a good tube mic could do for me. Well....this really complicates things. I may have to re-think my plan. Thanks Dave!!

Davedog Sat, 03/20/2010 - 16:18

Also I would suggest that since you already own an AKG 3000b to give it a chance again. Perhaps your ears have grown since you last used it. They really arent bad and through a quality pre can give excellent results.

The Violet is the flattest condenser I have ever heard. And it is acoustic guitar right up in your face...

llatht Sat, 03/20/2010 - 20:50

For the most part, I only record my own stuff right now. And that AKG just isn't very flattering to my voice - especially when I'm in the tenor range. My martin also likes the 4033 better. Eventually, when I'm comfortable enough with my skills, I'm sure I'll be doing some projects for others and I'll probably find many uses for it. I have a new interface on the way (Steinberg MR816x) which is rumored to have some really nice pre's, so I'll definately take your advice and try the AKG out on it.
Thanks for the tip on the Black Knight!

llatht Sun, 03/21/2010 - 06:55

I decided I'm going to wait it out for the better mics. Man it would be great if I could actually demo these things but where I live there's no way I can. Anyway, I've got that new interface coming in a couple weeks and I should really take my time and get to know it before I start adding to my mic locker. Thanks again!

Davedog Sun, 03/21/2010 - 11:27

llatht, post: 344343 wrote: I decided I'm going to wait it out for the better mics. Man it would be great if I could actually demo these things but where I live there's no way I can. Anyway, I've got that new interface coming in a couple weeks and I should really take my time and get to know it before I start adding to my mic locker. Thanks again!

Excellent choice of direction. So many could benefit from a clearer understanding of the gear they have as opposed to throwing money at a problem when the solution might simply be user error.

I like all of your mic choices but there is another tier of quality just a few dollars further on. And some of the new stuff in this area is simply fantastic.

BobRogers Sun, 03/21/2010 - 12:14

I think the idea of waiting until you have adapted to your new interface is really good. The one change in direction that I would recommend is to split your focus into finding (a) the best mic for your voice and (b) the best mic for acoustic guitar. You have one mic that does both well - you don't need another compromise mic. Of course, it's possible that there is a mic out there that fits both perfectly, but not likely. The thing is, while it is possible to make a reasonable decision about an acoustic guitar mic by listening to clips and reading reviews, I don't think it's a good idea when buying a mic for a particular vocalist. There may be nowhere near you, but how far is it from Adrian to Ft. Wayne? You could go to Sweetwater and try every mic in the place.

llatht Sun, 03/21/2010 - 15:11

BobRogers, post: 344370 wrote: I think the idea of waiting until you have adapted to your new interface is really good. The one change in direction that I would recommend is to split your focus into finding (a) the best mic for your voice and (b) the best mic for acoustic guitar. You have one mic that does both well - you don't need another compromise mic. Of course, it's possible that there is a mic out there that fits both perfectly, but not likely. The thing is, while it is possible to make a reasonable decision about an acoustic guitar mic by listening to clips and reading reviews, I don't think it's a good idea when buying a mic for a particular vocalist. There may be nowhere near you, but how far is it from Adrian to Ft. Wayne? You could go to Sweetwater and try every mic in the place.

I think I may be about 3 hours from there. But.....my brother lives in a town called Goshen that's within like 20 minutes or something. Guess I might go have a family visit soon. Thanks.