Skip to main content

Hi
I've been getting into post production stuff lately, and found myself needing a shotgun mic. I really haven't try any shotgun besides the Sennheiser MKH 70 for a project when i was in school.

Im in the process of getting a pair of AKG 451 EB + CK1 for Drum' OH and acoustic instruments 'cause they sound pretty good to me. And with these mics you have the option of changing the capsule and make it a Shotgun mic with the CK9 capsule.

Any thoughts on this? Do you recommend some other shotgun mic? Have any of you tried these mics?

Cheers

--Terror Run

Topic Tags

Comments

RemyRAD Mon, 04/04/2011 - 22:13

I actually had that some time ago. I really didn't like the CK 9 capsule at all. It never sounded like their primary shotgun microphones. Not even close. I've got one of the short modular Sennheiser MKE2 (That's the Omni tie tack capsule) series barrel with the short shotgun. Used a lot by NBC back in the day, 1980s. I liked those better and have one. But nothing comes close to their MKH800 series or 400 series shotguns. Sorry I can't remember the precise model number and am experiencing a brain fart, as I should like my own name which is... Something or other? I actually think my cheap long $240 Audio Technica sounds better than the CK 9. But those 451's with the CK 1 is just a fabulous pair to have.

Other
Mx. Other Mother

TerrorRun Fri, 04/08/2011 - 03:44

RemyRAD, post: 368054 wrote: I actually had that some time ago. I really didn't like the CK 9 capsule at all. It never sounded like their primary shotgun microphones. Not even close. I've got one of the short modular Sennheiser MKE2 (That's the Omni tie tack capsule) series barrel with the short shotgun. Used a lot by NBC back in the day, 1980s. I liked those better and have one. But nothing comes close to their MKH800 series or 400 series shotguns. Sorry I can't remember the precise model number and am experiencing a brain fart, as I should like my own name which is... Something or other? I actually think my cheap long $240 Audio Technica sounds better than the CK 9. But those 451's with the CK 1 is just a fabulous pair to have.

Other
Mx. Other Mother

After reading your post now I'm on the dilemma of whether get the AKG 451 E or AKG 451 EB. Im gonna have to wait for the shotgun mic, Im not gonna get the CK9 capsule if its that bad. In the future Im gonna go for the Sennheiser MKH 416, but now i cant afford the AKGs and that one.

Have you tested these 2 versions of 451s? Ive heard the newer version (451 B) is nothing compare to those 2 but never heard anything comparing the 451 E and the 451 EB, apart from the roll off is there any difference ? do they sound exactly the same?

Thnx
--TerrorRun

TheJackAttack Fri, 04/08/2011 - 15:27

TerrorRun, post: 368345 wrote: After reading your post now I'm on the dilemma of whether get the AKG 451 E or AKG 451 EB. Im gonna have to wait for the shotgun mic, Im not gonna get the CK9 capsule if its that bad. In the future Im gonna go for the Sennheiser MKH 416, but now i cant afford the AKGs and that one.

Have you tested these 2 versions of 451s? Ive heard the newer version (451 B) is nothing compared...snip

Thnx
--TerrorRun

There is probably not enough difference in the E vs B to worry about. There is far more difference in the CK1 v. CK31 and CK61. Most important the current version easily available and is a quality mic. If I were going to go buy a vintage sdc from AKG I would go with the C460 because it is smoother and doesn't have the high end bump. I guess I don't see the advantage of going all the way back to the EB version for a starter set.

RemyRAD Sat, 04/09/2011 - 11:35

I think John is correct. I Used to have a pair of original 451's but now only have a single 451EB, no real difference there. I have used the C-451 series and have used the 460. The 460 has far less noise & greater output level. It too sounds sweet. It's a lovely modern variant of the 451. In other words, they have a similar flavor.

So what we are trying to say is, rather than hunting for 451's, in any of its many permutations, if you want that SDC AKG sound go for the 460's. If you find a/pair of 451's in any variety at a rock-bottom price, you go for that. They are a classic mic that has a classic sound used in many different applications, from orchestral to rock. From the 451 to the 460.

Yeah that CK 9 shotgun capsule was a huge disappointment. That's why Sennheiser won. Sorry if I got my manufacturers mismouthed AKG vs. Sennheiser. But those shotguns are so very long and get me so very excited when I think about them. You should see my Sony! Of course my Sennheiser is short & thin and gets a din. While my Sony is long & fat & sounds like that. Then there's my AT, which is the longest & least used. Is just too long to be anything more than lackluster.

Not that kind of girl
Mx. Remy Ann David