Skip to main content

Hi everyone,

I am recording live gigs onto an HD24. When I monitor the tracks from the HD24 on a console, sounds great. After running through the MOTU 2408 to my DAW to edit in the PC and play them back through the console, they lose punch, clarity and sounds much muddier. Could this be an issue with the converters in my MOTU 2408 or am I missing something? I don't have the Fireport option for the HD24, so have to use the MOTU optical to xfr the tracks to PC. Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

Tommy

Comments

Boswell Mon, 10/05/2009 - 04:36

It's not completely clear - are you taking the HD24 outputs into your MOTU digitally via ADAT lightpipes or by analog cables and re-digitizing? If by ADAT, the tracks in your DAW will be sample-identical to those on the HD24, and any additional muddiness will be due to your monitoring chain.

What do you mean by playback "through the console"? What console is it? Have you tried replaying via ADAT from the MOTU back into the HD24 (set to All Input monitoring) and then monitoring the analog outputs from the HD24? This should sound identical to replaying the HD24 disk recordings directly. If it doesn't, there is something amiss with the ADAT I/O via your MOTU into and out of the DAW. For example, check that your DAW is using at least 24-bit processing and that you are not truncating and dithering to 16 bit audio when replaying.