Skip to main content

I can't wait to see performance benchmarks on this behemoth! 2.9 ghz base clock, 4.3 ghz boost (not sure if thats all core boost or not). This is an insane amount of power for a single socket desktop! Wow.

Topic Tags

Comments

pcrecord Thu, 01/16/2020 - 05:39

I just upgraded my computer and went for a I9 9900 with 32 gb and a 512gb M.2 drive for the audio data.
I did consider AMD but went against it because of some reviews..
For audio recording, the most important is single core performances. If you have more cores but they are slower it won't help.
You see as I see it DAW's work in serial not in parallel. It does treat audio in steps, volume then pan then EQ, then Comp then ...
Since those actions need to be don't one after the other, it's very different than other softwares like games...

So the I9 gave me more confidence as for future compatibility and core performance was better for the price I wanted to pay.
Also note, that the first thing I needed to do to get Samplitude stable is to deactivate the Hyperthreading.. so all the gizmo ment nothing at that point..
I'm going to do a quick video about my upgrade soon ;)

kmetal Thu, 01/16/2020 - 06:22

pcrecord, post: 463192, member: 46460 wrote: I just upgraded my computer and went for a I9 9900 with 32 gb and a 512gb M.2 drive for the audio data.
I did consider AMD but went against it because of some reviews..
For audio recording, the most important is single core performances. If you have more cores but they are slower it won't help.
You see as I see it DAW's work in serial not in parallel. It does treat audio in steps, volume then pan then EQ, then Comp then ...
Since those actions need to be don't one after the other, it's very different than other softwares like games...

So the I9 gave me more confidence as for future compatibility and core performance was better for the price I wanted to pay.
Also note, that the first thing I needed to do to get Samplitude stable is to deactivate the Hyperthreading.. so all the gizmo ment nothing at that point..
I'm going to do a quick video about my upgrade soon ;)

Congrats on your upgrade. From what ive seen on ryzen 3000 its single core performance is about equal to intel, where previously it wasn't. Intel still had the advantage of vsti count @ and below 128 sample buffers. Pluggin count went to ryzen. The Ryzen 12c beat intel 14c at pluggin count, but was neck and neck (even losing by a little) to the 8c intel in vsti count, and outperformed by a bit the 14c. The 14c does cost 2.5 x more than the ryzen 12c.

http://www.scanproaudio.info/2019/07/12/amd-ryzen-3600-3700x-3900x-dawbench-tested-3-is-it-the-magic-number/

You really can't go wrong either way, especially with the huge price slash on intel side making the value proposition good. The people ive read about who did 9900 and 9700 builds have been happy and running large sessions with vsti and low latency, without issue.

Im still on the fence between intel and amd for my main machine. I went ryzen for the slaves because the price to performance was so good vs intel, and the slaves are just gonna run maxed, watever that ends up being. But for the main, its got to meet some certain requirements. This is where all the info available for intel is a good aid, where ryzen is just starting to be adopted, there's much less real world accounts to wager up.

Couple questions about your build:

Im curious what m.2 drive you decided on for the os. Did you do a fresh install or migrate? What are you using for audio and sample drive(s)? What are you using your old daw for now? What psu and cpu cooler are you using.

Samplitude- its specd to support 32 cores in the newest edition. I know some people running cubase have disable HT. This is a shame HT can add like 30% or more performance generally. Have you contacted magic about this? Have you tried the manual core assignment feature in samp?

pcrecord Thu, 01/16/2020 - 07:49

kmetal, post: 463193, member: 37533 wrote: Im curious what m.2 drive you decided on for the os. Did you do a fresh install or migrate? What are you using for audio and sample drive(s)? What are you using your old daw for now? What psu and cpu cooler are you using.

I kept the M.2 for audio data, not OS because it has the fastest data transfer speed :Max Sequential Read Up to 3500 MBps Max Sequential Write Up to 2250 MBps
For the OS, I kept the same drive, a Crucial 500gb
I did a fresh install, just to be sure everything was clean.. and I got the opportunity to get rid of old software traces..
For audio, it's the new M.2 : HP EX950 M.2 2280 512GB PCle Gen3 x4, NVMe1.3 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) 5MS22AA#ABC
I'm not sure what you mean about old DAW, I'm just using Samplitude Pro X4 for audio and Davinci Resolve for Video.
The CPU cooler I chose is this one : Noctua NH-U9S, 6-year manufacturer-warranty and quiet enough for me..

kmetal, post: 463193, member: 37533 wrote: Have you contacted magic about this? Have you tried the manual core assignment feature in samp?

No I haven't contacted them.
With Hyperthreading activated, the only way to make busy projects work was by forcing Samplitude to use only one CPU
With HT deactivated, I chose 8 CPU and went from a buffer of 1024 to 256 and the projects play flawlessly.
If I check the CPU usage, all 8 cores are working around 25% instead of 90-100% with my old 4 cores i7 first gen.

Also, I get to a windows session in less than 20secs when booting after a complete shutdown (a hard shutdown using the button, which is not the same as when you go in menu and select shutdown..) before the upgrade, it was about 40secs, but of course I tested so many softwares over the years, it would have been faster with a fresh install

kmetal Thu, 01/16/2020 - 08:47

pcrecord, post: 463195, member: 46460 wrote: I'm not sure what you mean about old DAW,

Sorry that was completely unclear. What i meant was what are you doing with your old machine? Ie if your planning a mixdown machine, slave, or whatever with the old one. Im interested in how older computers that function fine, but have been decomissioned for primart daw use, get used until they arent functional anymore.

pcrecord, post: 463195, member: 46460 wrote: I kept the M.2 for audio data, not OS because it has the fastest data transfer speed :Max Sequential Read Up to 3500 MBps Max Sequential Write Up to 2250 MBps
For the OS, I kept the same drive, a Crucial 500gb

So are you running m.2/nvme for both audio and os?

Cool about noctua that's whats fans i use and was thinking of the NH line of cpu coolers.

pcrecord, post: 463195, member: 46460 wrote: No I haven't contacted them.
With Hyperthreading activated, the only way to make busy projects work was by forcing Samplitude to use only one CPU
With HT deactivated, I chose 8 CPU and went from a buffer of 1024 to 256 and the projects play flawlessly.
If I check the CPU usage, all 8 cores are working around 25% instead of 90-100% with my old 4 cores i7 first gen.

Man thats a super sweet improvement! I hope magix gets things coded for HT, since most daw users are using HT capable processors and pay extra for that. It seems like a waste of resources, but i don't know enough about coding and daw function to say for sure.

pcrecord, post: 463195, member: 46460 wrote: Also, I get to a windows session in less than 20secs when booting after a complete shutdown (a hard shutdown using the button, which is not the same as when you go in menu and select shutdown..) before the upgrade, it was about 40secs, but of course I tested so many softwares over the years, it would have been faster with a fresh install

Another wonderful improvement! So there's a chance you wont forget the song idea beforw the pc boots anymore! Lol i used to have to play the riff for minutes while my 2006 era machine and pt booted up.

That's a great tip about hardware shutdown vs software! Didn't know about that.

pcrecord Thu, 01/16/2020 - 09:02

kmetal, post: 463197, member: 37533 wrote: Sorry that was completely unclear. What i meant was what are you doing with your old machine? Ie if your planning a mixdown machine, slave, or whatever with the old one

Ah ! it's the same machine.. I just change MB, RAM and CPU ;)

kmetal, post: 463197, member: 37533 wrote: So are you running m.2/nvme for both audio and os?

No just audio files and video files..

kmetal, post: 463197, member: 37533 wrote: Man thats a super sweet improvement! I hope magix gets things coded for HT

That would be nice indeed.. Many would loose their mind before being able to deactivate HT from the bios..

kmetal, post: 463197, member: 37533 wrote: That's a great tip about hardware shutdown vs software! Didn't know about that.

https://www.howtogeek.com/349114/shutting-down-doesnt-fully-shut-down-windows-10-but-restarting-it-does/

kmetal Thu, 01/16/2020 - 09:18

pcrecord, post: 463199, member: 46460 wrote: Ah ! it's the same machine.. I just change MB, RAM and CPU

Excellent!

Any plan for the old hardware?

pcrecord, post: 463199, member: 46460 wrote: No just audio files and video files..

I haven't seen any comparison between nvme and sata 3 for os. I may be wrong on this, but the way i understand it, the fastest drive is generally better for os since its performing the most calculations, and data streams have to get pretty large to saturate a sata 3 ssd and become the bottleneck.

I was also planning on starting with a 500gb (nvme) drive for data, thinking i can bounce between that and a slower backup drive if space is an issue. 500gb is a fair amount of audio projects, i dont know about video yet from experience. I am curious about your decision making process as far as capacity.

I am on the fence between 250 and 500gb for os, its not a huge diff in price between the samsung 970 evo+ models.

pcrecord, post: 463199, member: 46460 wrote: That would be nice indeed.. Many would loose their mind before being able to deactivate HT from the bios..

Lol i can see many qwerty keyboards in pieces over this.

Are you going to enable it for your video projects or just leave it alone.?

Im going to lose whats left of my mind if i have to diasable ht. Maybe its a sign to just start w the 6c i5 machine i have boxed, before building a custom main machine.

Without ht, i can see where Intel's higher clock speeds can become critical and vs amd..

pcrecord Thu, 01/16/2020 - 09:44

kmetal, post: 463201, member: 37533 wrote: Any plan for the old hardware?

Not yet.. maybe upgrade my media server, if it fits in the casing... or recup..

kmetal, post: 463201, member: 37533 wrote: the fastest drive is generally better for os since its performing the most calculations, and data streams have to get pretty large to saturate a sata 3 ssd and become the bottleneck.

Honestly I don't know.. so much is happening on RAM and CPU once software's are loaded up.
I just wanted my audio files and video files transfer to have the best speed when accessed from my editing softwares.

kmetal, post: 463201, member: 37533 wrote: I am curious about your decision making process as far as capacity.

I am on the fence between 250 and 500gb for os, its not a huge diff in price between the samsung 970 evo+ models.

Well 250gb would be well enough for audio production alone.. but videos. in hd the files get big quick.. specially with 2 cams...
So I work on the M2 500gb but make a double backup on external drives and only keep in process projects on the m2.
The samsung 970 is one of the fastest but it is highly priced.. that's why I chose the HP which has similar speeds but at a fraction of the price..
Since I do backups often, I'm ok if it lives a little less long..

kmetal, post: 463201, member: 37533 wrote: Are you going to enable it for your video projects or just leave it alone.?

No files are files, since there isn't speed discrepencies from the start of the m2 drive and the end, like we saw with older HHDs I'm not afraid to put videos on it..
But as I said not for long period of time.

kmetal, post: 463201, member: 37533 wrote: Without ht, i can see where Intel's higher clock speeds can become critical and vs amd..

;)