Skip to main content

I hope this trend continues! It also lends some very interesting possibilities to retrofit classic gear. Check it out!

Comments

Boswell Wed, 08/26/2020 - 03:11

It's a bit over the top, but that's the sort of enthusiasm that these controllable products generate.

I've been involved in the design of Remote Automation of Analogue Products (RAAP) for a few years now, and some of them are just starting to come to market. Marketing departments are shouting at designers to get the production cost down, but that's not easy if you want to end up with a quality piece of gear. Watch out for more in this area.

kmetal Wed, 08/26/2020 - 12:57

pcrecord, post: 465344, member: 46460 wrote: I understand it makes the recalls easier.. but at what cost ?
More steps knobs on physical units would help too ;)

Beside recall i like the remote control because it means you can keep the gear out of the way, leaving a clear path between speakers and listener. You see mastering rooms with like 100k speakers, with a gigantic desk in between.

kmetal Wed, 08/26/2020 - 13:13

Boswell, post: 465338, member: 29034 wrote: It's a bit over the top, but that's the sort of enthusiasm that these controllable products generate.

I've been involved in the design of Remote Automation of Analogue Products (RAAP) for a few years now, and some of them are just starting to come to market. Marketing departments are shouting at designers to get the production cost down, but that's not easy if you want to end up with a quality piece of gear. Watch out for more in this area.

Can't wait for more!

Does the necessary electronics for the RAAP section compromise audio in any way? Is it generally even in the signal path?

Boswell Wed, 08/26/2020 - 14:20

kmetal, post: 465350, member: 37533 wrote: Does the necessary electronics for the RAAP section compromise audio in any way? Is it generally even in the signal path?

Not in these top-end units, no.

The first attempts were to swap toggle switches for relays and to put stepper motors on the pots and rotary switches. It was a bit like swapping the standard faders on a mixer for motor-controlled faders. You get one function controllable, so you can, for example, automate the faders so they change dynamically and reproducibly during a track, but you can't fully set up or initialise a mix.

The challenge has been to create equipment that has purely analogue signal paths but is both completely settable and dynamically changeable, all at an affordable price. It's been really difficult.

kmetal Wed, 08/26/2020 - 14:57

Boswell, post: 465351, member: 29034 wrote: Not in these top-end units, no.

The first attempts were to swap toggle switches for relays and to put stepper motors on the pots and rotary switches. It was a bit like swapping the standard faders on a mixer for motor-controlled faders. You get one function controllable, so you can, for example, automate the faders so they change dynamically and reproducibly during a track, but you can't fully set up or initialise a mix.

The challenge has been to create equipment that has purely analogue signal paths but is both completely settable and dynamically changeable, all at an affordable price. It's been really difficult.

Interesting. I was always curious why this wasn't more prevalent since it seemed so obvious to me. Cost makes sense.

That said i dont think the 2k asking price for the tegler unit is out of sync with other pultec style devices.

I hope maybe some standardisation, or ramped up demand and production will lower costs. Im looking forward to more of this type of unit. It really makes analog make sense (to me) in a digital world, both from a time saving perspective, and long term investment/obsolescence perspective.