Skip to main content

hey all, i was just reading online and saw that AKG just released these new cardioid-only versions of the 414's. they seem interesting, i was just wondering if anyone has actually heard them yet. there don't seem to be any online reviews of them

Topic Tags

Comments

RemyRAD Fri, 10/10/2008 - 09:24

There really isn't any reviews necessary. It's one half of a 414 and everyone knows what they sound like. Same capsule (albeit one half). Same electronics. Same consistent sound. There, a review.

What you really need to think about is, the new price MSRP, of the 214, is about the same as a good, late-model, used 414.

While your question is valid since the 414 has been released in a number of different permutations. Classic units had a decided "presence peak" whereas others were flattened out a little more and referred to as "Ultra-Linear". So you really have to know what it is you want to begin with. If you're so new to this? You're not ready for either variety. As, we don't know in what applications you're going to use this? " Oh, I just want record my stuff....". Which still doesn't tell us anything. "Just my guitar & vocals". OK then, you should get the one with the classic presence peak or the linear variety. Whichever you like better. Right. That doesn't tell you anything does it? Aren't you glad you asked?

C12? Heck, I can't even C1 much less have 1, 12, 214 or, 414!
Ms. Remy Ann David

RecordingNewb Fri, 10/10/2008 - 09:34

actually, i wasn't really thinking of purchasing one, hence my lack of descriptions regarding potential applications. i was just curious as to whether anyone had used them and what their thoughts were.

you're right remy, everyone knows what a 414 sounds like, i was mostly just wondering if the 214's really do sound like a cardioid-only 414 or if they're just being marketed that way.

RemyRAD Fri, 10/10/2008 - 11:52

Oh, I absolutely believe they sound like a 414 as I noticed Beck on the David Letterman show last night had them for drum overheads. Sounds like 414's to me. There would be no reason for them misrepresenting that. I would just purchase them as it's an intelligent choice. You'll never be sorry. That is, unless, you wanted Omni or, Figure 8? There are just some things still in life that are still, a given. Sort of like Porsches. It really doesn't matter which model or year. Now if it's Joe Blow's Whizbang Hyper-Cardomni Condenser Microphone, I'd really like to know more about it.

Next question
Ms. Remy Ann David