Skip to main content

[MEDIA=soundcloud]doctor-fuse/apex-205-ribbon-microphone-test-bach-prelude[/MEDIA]Just tested my Apex 205 ribbon mic. The only mod I performed was the basic one, of removing the inner wind shields.

Not much detail or air, but it has a nice, warm-ish sound. Recorded about 4 feet away from the f-holes, in my shoebox living room - no acoustical treatment. How much improvement from upgrading the transformer?

Topic Tags

Comments

audiokid Wed, 03/18/2015 - 18:56

Welcome to Recording.org, someone from close by as well. :love:
I can't comment on much here, as there is no comparison but I really enjoyed just listening to this. I never tire of Bach or a violin played well. I hear your walls and some wooly lower mids but I hear you playing, and like it. You would obviously sound better in a larger Hall.

I'm sure someone will chime in with the info you are looking for in regards to changing the transformer? Why do you feel that might help?
What preamp are you using? That is a huge part of the equation.

DonnyThompson Wed, 03/18/2015 - 19:10

I love Bach. You play nicely. ;)

I think that the mic suits the instrument well. As Chris mentioned, I can hear some of the room, and because a ribbon is a fig 8 mic, it will have a tendency to pick up more of your space than some other mics will.

You could try adding some broad band absorption to your room, some Roxul, or OC 703, or, even in a pinch, hanging a heavy packing blanket can also do wonders with attenuating a lot of the upper frequencies that can cause flutter echo.
Although, this won't help lower mids, you'll need some mass for that.

I do know that many ribbon mic users will upgrade to other transformers - one of the popular mods for ribbons is to put a Lundhal XFO in a cheaper ribbon to improve the sound, there are many mods available on the web, just make sure you find someone who really knows what they are doing.

Have you ever experimented with Blumlein miking?

PS... love your avatar... I haven't seen Ultra-Man in years! :)

Dr. Fuse Wed, 03/18/2015 - 22:12

audiokid, post: 426494, member: 1 wrote: Welcome to Recording.org, someone from close by as well. :love:
I can't comment on much here, as there is no comparison but I really enjoyed just listening to this. I never tire of Bach or a violin played well. I hear your walls and some wooly lower mids but I hear you playing, and like it. You would obviously sound better in a larger Hall.

I'm sure someone will chime in with the info you are looking for in regards to changing the transformer? Why do you feel that might help?
What preamp are you using? That is a huge part of the equation.

It's a VIOLA! ;) Glad you enjoyed it. If I can find a decent hall I may record all six cello suites over the next few years (as if the universe needs another complete Bach cycle on tape!).
Thanks for the feedback, Chris and Donny.

DonnyThompson Wed, 03/18/2015 - 23:32

Dr. Fuse, post: 426501, member: 48956 wrote: (as if the universe needs another complete Bach cycle on tape!).

Why not?

IMO, the world would be much better off with another Bach translation than it would be with yet another:

" Gonna get me a six pack and some gin and juice and party til I puke in my pickup truck on the lap of a girl with painted on jeans and if you don't love Amurica then I'm gonna put a boot up yer ' ___ or pop a cap in yo head except I can't because I'm so miserable that I want to cut myself ..."
- gasping for breath - "song".

;)

audiokid Thu, 03/19/2015 - 09:24

You should check this thread out: http://recording.org/threads/poll-anyone-interested-in-me-posting-mic-pre-samples.58115/

Contrary to the hype on some transformers there are some that may not work as well.
Until I hear different, over a course of a few years, cinemag is one of them that seems to have a colder character to it.
We always welcome the never ending subjective audio examples :whistle: