Skip to main content

http://www.aphex.co…"]APHEX Systems 204 Aural Exciter® - Optical Big Bottom®[/]="http://www.aphex.co…"]APHEX Systems 204 Aural Exciter® - Optical Big Bottom®[/]

Anyone have any experience with this device? I found one on craigslist for $150 and price wise that's pretty decent. Just curious if anyone knows anything about this processor and whether or not its worth the cash. I primarily record hip hop vocals and rarely singing and I am looking for something to make my highs shimmer a bit more. The low end I am not particularly worried about however, I do occasionally record this kid who plays bass so if anyone has experience with the low end of this product that would be helpful as well.

Comments

moonbaby Wed, 09/08/2010 - 15:42

Products like this and the BBE Sonic Maximizer hype the perceived loudness and timbre of the mix and that will tend to rob the system of vital headroom and that makes it easier to clip your mix. The AE tends to sound less harsh to my ears than the SM, but that's personal preference. I don't use either one on anything else but cassette tranfers/dubs, and who does THOSE these days...LOL!!!

RemyRAD Fri, 09/10/2010 - 00:26

I think you'll find that these devices work a little bit like sonic bug repellers. They were originally intended to undo what Dolby A did to the sound of analog tape. And when used on vocals could actually increase the edge. You'd do better by finding a microphone that better complements your voice or has that heavier higher frequency accentuation that you think you want. And these devices especially the Aphex rely on creating distortion that when used properly can enhance the sound. I don't see how this would apply to your genre of music? Unless you want more distortion? Or so many screaming high frequencies that you have no more female fans? And you wouldn't want that would you? And really, it's not a terribly great price for that unit since most everybody else has rid themselves of those things. I'll still use my unit only very occasionally but digital generally doesn't need that kind of help since it's already HARSH sounding. I know that a lot of folks would argue that with me today but PCM still sounds like PCM still sounds like PCM even at 192 kHz, 24-bit to me. So what you really need is better mixing technique as opposed to getting overly excited.

I'm mellow
Mx. Remy Ann David