Skip to main content

Hello,

Everyone I am new to the forum. I am currently turning a post and beam barn that was built in 1800 into a studio. I am looking into getting the Api 1608 or the ssl matrix with a rack full of gear. The api is attractive well because it's and api, but the matrix seems really cool because it's an analog board and controller that has 40 channels at mix down with total recall. Also there is no need for a patchbay.

I would love to hear what some of you experienced folks out there have to say.

thanks

Topic Tags

Comments

MadMax Tue, 02/17/2009 - 19:57

I looked at the 1608... hard.... REAL HARD...

Here's my initial impression...

GREAT little console. That's the problem... a bit too little for my application.

For many good engineers, 16 channels makes a great 8 stereo bus summing console. For me, it wasn't quite what I need... for tracking AND mix... if I could slave 3 of em together, then yeah... but if yer' gonna slave 3 of em... get a used legacy, right?

The automation is what I really needed... I don't know what the status of that is anymore, but it wasn't available when I was looking at it... so, it was back to looking at a used Neve, API or new ProTools Icon.

Other than that price tag... a hell of a lot of bang... but not quite for the buck for what I had to have.

If it suits your need/situation, it's a killa'!

The Matrix is supposed to be pretty decent. I haven't seen, tracked or mixed on one, so I can't comment.

anonymous Tue, 02/17/2009 - 21:16

Hey thanks for your info,

I try to keep the track count to minimum due to the kind of records I like to make. But is seems to me that there is a lot of patching with the 1608 due to lack of inputs, however it has a vibe.

Due you prefer a console with color or do you tend to go for transparent sounding boards?

thanks