Skip to main content

Hello,

I'm very interessted to record in good quality a piano with a matched pair of KM184. I need only 2 channels, no D/A, no Midi - only good piano sound. My laptop: Centrino 1,5 XP, USB and Firewire Input.

Which product would you prefer? Which sounds better? I know that the Apogee supports only 24/48 over the USB 1.1 Interface... Is there someone who knows both devices? What should I buy?

Please help!

Clemens

Comments

John Stafford Thu, 03/31/2005 - 14:16

Clemens
I have a Mini-Me and I'm surprised by how good it is. The conversion is of a very high standard, and for something like piano, I think the preamps are very good too. They're very clean and open sounding and if you want a clean piano sound I'd go with this one. However, if you want screaming-in-your-face attitude, get something else :wink:

Even though you only have two channels, and the limitations you mention, it is great value for money, even though it's more expensive than the RME. IMHO it has that extra edge that makes it more 'pro' sounding. Don't handle it roughly though!

John Stafford

Cucco Mon, 04/04/2005 - 07:31

Clemens:

Overall, for acoustic type music, I have been rather unimpressed by the goods from Apogee. The converters in the RME are excellent. They are quite transparent with a nice smooth top end. The preamps are also quite good in their own right.

Personally, I think the Fireface is a far more complete solution with a great sound and an even better price. ESPECIALLY for acoustic music.

J.

anonymous Wed, 04/06/2005 - 01:55

Thanks for your comments!

O.K. I´m not a professional. I think I will buy a ´MOTU Traveler´ because of his mobility. If I need a better quality I will buy a separate preamp. There are very good firms from Sweden and USA:

http://www.lineaudio.se/linepre.htm
http://www.fmraudio.com/RNP8380.htm

Both devices have excellent sound with no coloration and a lot of headroom. Ideal for piano recording. The best mobile recording station is in my eyes the Metric Halo ULN2 (24/96) but is is ONLY for Mac. Excellent preamps! Then the Apogee Mini ME and after a long time the MOTU. But it is a new device with 24/192, Firewire and a mobile solution. RME is great player but it is 19".