Skip to main content

I bought a pair of these from an ebay store a few weeks back and finally have had a chance to use them on a few different things:

1. Drum OH's. .they did fine, not overly hyped in the high end. In fact, they're rather flat except in the low end, where they start to roll off at about 80 Hz, which IMO is fine for OH's, I don't want too much low end info here.

2. Guitar amp..for parts other than really thick power chords, again because of the low end roll off, got what I wanted.

3. Upright bass (recycled). .I inherited a project that a friend had tracked elsewhere, but he hated the end result. He had been promised adequate isolation from a mic on upright while he sang scratch vocals. Fortunately, they also ran direct from his pickup. The sound from the direct track was very boxy, unnatural sounding. I put a 2020 in front of a monitor in the tracking room and ran the direct track with the best EQ settings I could dial in, and retracked on a free track, then blended the two, a vast improvement, mainly because my room is fairly live, so we got some ambient quality back. The lack of really low end didn't hurt here, since we were looking for mid and high definition which was missing in the direct track.

Next experiment is a 15 member gospel choir as backup on a blues driven gospel project, really looking forward to that. I'm getting my money's worth on these, would definitely recommend them as inexpensive, all purpose utility mics.

Topic Tags

Comments

jonyoung Fri, 09/02/2005 - 10:36

Update: tried them on grand piano through my "warm" tube channels last night, very pleasantly surpised. More even tonal response than I expected, and strong/clean in the low end when the pianist hit a hard extreme left hand finale. Until I scratch together extra cash for another 4050, I'll use these!