Skip to main content

Hey guys, first post :)

I need some help choosing a CHEAP audio interface.

Basically so far I am getting an AT2020 to record Acoustic and then Vocals (this is all that I'll be recording).

I have about another AU$150 (about US$115) to spend on a cheap interface.. Are there any worth the money around this amount or should I hold off?

I've heard that the m-audio fasttrack is a piece of junk? I don't need to d.i. the guitar or any midi stuff, just need to mic everything up..

Can't stand using my cheap onboard soundcard to record stuff anymore lol.

Thanks heaps in advance, Ian (povo uni student).

Comments

RemyRAD Tue, 01/17/2006 - 22:53

Well, I suspect you have not been using the line inputs on your sound card? Most SoundBlaster type sound cards are generally less than adequate but can be utilized if you're using just the line inputs, provided that you do not overload them with + 4 Dbm like studio levels. They only want to see consumer levels like Teac/TASCAM -10 or even -20 levels. I might recommend within your budget one of those relatively inexpensive ART tube type microphone preamplifiers. They are within your budget, would work well with the microphone and would perhaps negate the need to step up to a more expensive soundcard interface like the MOTU units.

I hope this helps?
May you make beautiful recordings.
Ms. Remy Ann David

anonymous Wed, 01/18/2006 - 01:14

Thankyou very much for the response :)

I was thinking of using my laptop so now I really don't know what to do..

I have an old 8-track tape recorder, I guess I could use the line outs on that and hook it up to a cheap external soundcard (if I can buy one with a line in on it)??? Bad idea?

Maybe I'll sell that on eBay to get myself a bit more $$$.. I wonder if I can sell my soul too hehe :wink:

I really have no idea what I'm going to do now lol...

Thanks heaps for your advice :)