Skip to main content

Hi all!
I've read so many good things about this mic, and I'd just love to hear what it sounds like. It will be a while before that happens though, because I'm not willing to part with any of my current mics just to raise the cash to audition another. Right now my curiosity is very high though, and I was hoping someone could at least give me an idea of it's character by comparing it to one of the AT's I already own and love (4047, 4033). I would mostly be interested in it for my own personal vocal mic, and if it makes any difference I'm a tenor with a slightly raspy sound. Here's a very small clip of me using the 4047, for context.
http://www.mediafir…
Thanks,
Shannon

Comments

moonbaby Tue, 04/19/2011 - 09:08

I have 2 4047's and a 4033, plus a couple of 4050's. I have used a 4060 a while back on a VO session. As I recall, the 4060 was pretty fat on the lower mids, especially compared to the 4033, which is a brighter mic. The 4047's are smoother on the top end then the 4033, but the 4060 was probably smoother than any of them. I like the 4047 on non-screaming male voices and on smokey ladies, it just fits them well. One of my faves. The 4050 is a more neutral mic, BTW. It really depends on what you want to do with the mic. The 4047 excels on vocals, good on stringed instruments, but not great as OH's. The 4033 is good on OH's, hit or miss on vocals. I suspect that the 4060 will shine on pretty much anything, but I wouldn't use it on EVERYTHING because that thick midrange warmth can build up on successive tracks and start to muddy things up. So buy them all...:)

Shannon Adkins Tue, 04/19/2011 - 10:19

moonbaby, post: 369222 wrote: I have 2 4047's and a 4033, plus a couple of 4050's. I have used a 4060 a while back on a VO session. As I recall, the 4060 was pretty fat on the lower mids, especially compared to the 4033, which is a brighter mic. The 4047's are smoother on the top end then the 4033, but the 4060 was probably smoother than any of them. I like the 4047 on non-screaming male voices and on smokey ladies, it just fits them well. One of my faves. The 4050 is a more neutral mic, BTW. It really depends on what you want to do with the mic. The 4047 excels on vocals, good on stringed instruments, but not great as OH's. The 4033 is good on OH's, hit or miss on vocals. I suspect that the 4060 will shine on pretty much anything, but I wouldn't use it on EVERYTHING because that thick midrange warmth can build up on successive tracks and start to muddy things up. So buy them all...:)

Yeah, I'd love to:)
Hey, thanks a lot for the description moonbaby! I hate to say it makes me want to audition the 4060 even more! Especially if it's even smoother than the 4047, which has been my primary vocal mic as of late.
I really agree on what you say of the 4047 and 4033. I love the AT sound...the quick response and definition. But you're right, the 4047 is definitely much smoother on the top end and slightly beefier. The 4033 takes care of all my acoustic guitar duties. When I ran it against the 4047 in that area I thought it was VERY, VERY similar on my own acoustic...I just slightly preferred the 4033. On my vocal they are rather easy to tell apart, and I much prefer the 4047 there. I'll never know until I try it, but from what you've said the 4060 may even be a better fit.
Thanks again for the description.