Skip to main content

What mic preamp / comp is as good or better, IYO, than the Avalon 737. Try to stay around the same price or lower.

Comments

anonymous Wed, 09/03/2003 - 04:44

API channel strip
API 512c + 550b
1084 or 1073 Brent Averill Neve reproduction

The compressor is next to useless in the 737 and overall it doesn't have the balls of the above mentioned. If you want a tube pre then check out the Groove Tube's VIPRE or grab a used Telefunken V76. Both have no EQ or Compressor but you can pair it up with something later. I'd go the 1084 myself.

anonymous Thu, 09/04/2003 - 08:28

In defense of the Avalon - I recently purchased a 737sp and have to say I love it. I bought it used (almost half price), so definitetly factor that in, but it has been worth every penny.

I can see other peoples' arguments for other pre models, particularly if you already have (or intend to soon acquire) very nice mics, A/D conversion, nice bass, etc. I have mid-level mics/bass and can't swing the dough for a while to upgrade. The avalon made everything I was doing sound infinitely better. Would a Neumann/neve/1176/gmlEQ/apogee sound better than the 737? Certainly. But as an all in one, I was truly thrilled with the 737.

Other factors that helped in my decision: Pop genre, mostly female vocalists, I have descent plugs (WavePlat), and it happened to vibe with my mic (AT4033). It's not for everyone, but It's defitely the perfect fit for some.

- jk

3dchris Thu, 09/04/2003 - 10:10

I have Avalon 737sp and I'm getting great results with it. I'm using Neumann TLM103, Rode NTK and AT4033. JK, if you want a killer sound go for the TLM103. It's lightyears ahead of 4033 IMHO, especially for female vocals, and it works great with 737. I agree that the compressor is not too perfect but that's an optical compressor. It is much more subtle than any other. So don't be affraid to compress the sound more than you would normally do. I didn't yet hear Avalon's compressor sounding bad even when using very heavy compression. Is Avalon 737 the best pick? Probably not. But it's far from being worse too.

Just my 2 cents

chris

Attached files Image removed.

Davedog Thu, 09/04/2003 - 11:15

The Avalon is a good piece.You are going to be spending a lot of its value on its very pretty architecture....The Focusrite Red is killer..as is the 1969 Drawmer...You could never go wrong with any Geoff Daking gear nor could you go wrong with John Hardy stuff.For very clean and transparent, the True Systems stuff is really really good.There are several amoungst us here that would agree that for the money, the Sebatron is one killer piece.Versatile and well-built.You can get clean and that tube warmth with little or no fuss.