Skip to main content

I'm just so indecisive, I guess. Now I'm looking into my best interface options for around 1500 total.

I need it to be able to track drums. I would consider a Rosetta 200 with the 1394 card if I knew it was just going to be me recording myself in stereo, but I need to be able to track drums, too.

I hear the RME Fireface stuff is really solid. Is this true? Are there any other interfaces out there that I should be considering? I care a lot about A/D conversion. I'm unloading my MOTU gear to get a step up. Thanks in advance. :-)

Topic Tags

Comments

dterry Sat, 04/21/2007 - 20:06

For $1500, interface and DA/pres included, the options are Fireface 800, MOTU or a combo of a sub $1k interface and inexpensive converters/pre. Which MOTU are you dropping? There is a mod for several MOTU interfaces that supposedly (haven't heard it) improves the converter quality significantly (new op amps, clock, etc). Just one option to consider - here it is: http://www.blacklionaudio.com/motu_firewire_mod.html

The Fireface is a very nice interface. I'm not personally sold on firewire for critical audio (mine is basically standalone for the I/O) - the converters are very good - seem to be comparable to the ADI series, but I haven't had them side by side. An RME Digiface will run about $900 with the PCI card, etc, then you would need a converter - not much under $1k that will be a step up from MOTU in the multichannel range (the ADI series is around $1700 I believe).

To get into a Lynx AES with Aurora will run you closer to $3200.

x

User login