Skip to main content

Years ago while recording an EP (1995-ish) our producer used a pair of Bose 301's for our recording project. I now own a pair of those speakers and am wondering if anybody can recommend or warn against using these as reference monitors for a home studio.

AP 8)

Topic Tags

Comments

Kev Wed, 05/03/2006 - 15:24

BOSE
Better Off Somewhere Else
:shock:
interesting HiFi speakers that adopt the Direct and Reflecting methods of sound dispersion ... some classical listeners do like them

great for surround speakers

perhaps
good for the studio area ...

but not what I would call reference or even something I would ever refer anything to.
8)
YMMV as Fletch would say

Kev Thu, 05/04/2006 - 13:56

Cucco wrote: If it's got no highs and no lows, it must be Bose...

yeah
:wink:
that's the other insult

I though about doing both of them but two insults in the one post is probably too much ...
:shock:
but I could take a swipe at another maker ... yes ?

Just Bloody Loud

aaah
it's all just fun
there's lots of good stuff from JBL
and over many years
2225 and 2226 has probably been the main-stay of the PA business for a very long time.

anonymous Thu, 05/04/2006 - 16:13

WOW

I have had my Bose 301's for 2 years now and absolutely love the sound while listening to vinyl through an old harmon/kardon tube amp. It sounds fantastic! I've also owned some of the 600 Polk Audio's and loved them too but the sound signature always seemed a bit "boxsie" compared to the warmer Bose 301's

Just sayin'

Oh...BTW...I did buy a pair of Alesis studio monitors. I'll give the field test later when I receive them.

AP

Kev Thu, 05/04/2006 - 19:31

yes they will sound fine while listening, in your living room, to your finished vinyls and CDs.

they may not be the best thing for mixing as they involve the walls of the room as part of the sound
and perhaps not the best value for money around

as for the surround systems,
take any small speaker like an Auratone 5C and a good powered subwoofer ... give the satellites a bit of pre-amplifier EQ ... or even a passive EQ bend in the speaker itself (Auratone had an EQ'd version)

and you will be surprised at how it can film a room full of Mission Impossible sound.

the speaker components can be very cheap indeed ... sub $20 a driver ... perhaps a little more for the sub
but not much

package it all up in a sensational looking enclosure and some glossy brochures and you too could be looking for luxury car tomorrow.