Skip to main content

Let us start a thread on here of what would you consider the essential gear for a nice small project studio, limited to a $20k budget.

I start with:

* 2 Sebatron 4 channel Mic preamps
* 2 RNC's
* 1 used PT TDM Mix with an ADAT bridge or 888/24
* 1 used G4 733/800/933 with a 1t" ordinary screen
* 1 pair of Dynaudio BM6's
* Mics: 2 AT4050, 2 Sm81, 2 Beta57, 2 GT55, 1 SM91
* 4 Sennheiser/Sony/AKG headphones
* 1 Furman Headphone Amp
* XLR cables
* plugins Waves Gold Bundle, Amp Farm, Autotune

So.. what are your thoughts? :)

Topic Tags

Comments

golli Sun, 05/04/2003 - 12:02

No, mine is allmost new. I bought it with a heavy discount because the store was getting in the new version Beta91. But when I was playing in a touring band few years back I was supplied with the SM91 and that one was heavily used, lots of scratches etc. I allways liked the sound of that mic in my monitor Psm600. And when we jumped into studios, allways D112(in bassdrum). It's not exactly the sound of the SM91 I prefer, more the touch/feel of it from foot to ears, hard to explane in English.
Any way, what I would like to hear from you is, have you, ACB, experimented with the SM91 on anything else than bassdrum, acustic guitar, piano, whatever. And if so how was the outcome??

anonymous Mon, 05/12/2003 - 22:51

A DAW (nuendo, sequoia)

8in, 4 out good converter set-- (mytek, benchmark)

and a few high quaility mic staples

pair of small diagphragm condensers (schoeps, DPA, joesophson)
pair of dynamics (57's, 421's ect ect)
one good large diagphragm (insert fav here)

one clean and two coloured pres- stereo
(rnp,millennia, grace, great rivers, phoenix)

one good compressor, one good eq
(rnc, speck eq)

Do the rest in the box

You could stay under 20k that way easily and work on your room which is the most important part

Marsh

anonymous Tue, 05/13/2003 - 03:03

I will second Marshall on that- spend money to get the room right. If there is one thing that makes my place stand out it is that I can cut track live drums without scaring any neighbours (I am in an industrial building). Most people come to me because they can't cut drums in their apartment (then they stay because they love the sound). Also, always plenty of hookers strolling in front of the studio. Clients love it (I never said it was a good neighbourhood). Doc

anonymous Tue, 05/13/2003 - 21:16

my best investment so far has been my schoeps pair and my R84 ribbon mic... it has changed the way i think about recordings.

I'm now working on my preamps
i have a ward beck 460 pre by dave thomas
and i'm lookinf for another couple of pre's to compliment

I've found that i can get 99% of all my recordings done with those three mics..
I have a matched pair of ksm32's but i don't use them much anymore.

The ribbon sounds great for vocals in the mids, but i don't like the fact that i have to add alot of eq to the high end (5db @ 12k ish)
I'm going to try the schoeps on vocals on my next tracking session (thanks nika)

but yea, keep it simple and high quality

LESS IS MORE
Marsh

anonymous Thu, 05/29/2003 - 22:26

I've actually done a quasi decca array on a distorted guitar amp setup (2 amps splayed in at 70ish degrees)

the schoeps omnis about 5 feet back and seperated about 3 feet and the ribbon mic about 3 feet back and in the center of the omni setup

Its been my best guitar sound yet.... I really like the sound of the amps with the mics pulled back farther.

Marsh

omegaarts Mon, 06/02/2003 - 07:56

By Nuendo 2, forget Pro Tools.
UAD 1 card, RME sound cards.
One mic I could never live with out is a SM57.
In fact I have 10 of them.
D112. AT 4050, AT 4051, AT 4060 with a better 6922 tube in it.
If any of you have AT 4060's please take time to find a high grade 6922 tube for it, it's make a ton of difference.

Rod Gervais Mon, 06/09/2003 - 12:27

HI all,

Gotta love anyone who has the "i need more gear illness"........ for mikes gotta have many many sm 57's and beta 57 A's - works well with my snares and toms as well as any other instrument

I love the Audio Tech AE2500 for my kick - and i only use the one - buried about 1/3 in - turned away from the snare - pointed towards the batter.....

I also use the audio Fusion 15's to pick up my brass -

Vocals AKG Solid Tube Condenser...... but if one can afford them - groove tubes GT 67....

Otherwise - i use Mackie Digital Recorders - a fairly large mix of tube and digital compressors/Limiters/Gates by behringer - a pair of behringer MX 3242X boards - an Aural Exciter - DSP 1224P effects processor - and a Behringer Finalizer.

I've had great luck with the Behringer gear - although i am serioously considering moving to the Mackie D8B digital board.

More is always better when it comes to gear.

Happy Hunting

Rod

Rod Gervais Tue, 06/10/2003 - 12:05

RO Senior Member
Member # 11531

posted June 10, 2003 01:06 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you admit to using a lot of Behringer stuff, then run for your life man

LMFAO........ if i had my druthers i would own a NEAVE board with flying faders - but unfortunately money is sometimes an object - but (i am tapping my head as i say this) knock on wood - i have not had anything blow up at this point in time - here's hoping i stay this lucky.

Thanks for the feedback

Rod

FloodStage Wed, 06/11/2003 - 11:35

If you get good results, use it!

I used to diss everything Peavey made (often with good reason) Then I got a little 15 watt practice amp that just sounds great. I found I was using it all the time but I was embarassed by the peavey name.

Solution: I made a new oak cabinet for it and then put cane grill cloth on it so it would look like a Mesa Boogie. No one knows it's humble origin!

I think I'm going to put a SSL sticker on my Mackie next!

Rod Gervais Fri, 06/13/2003 - 19:41

Originally posted by Ckevperry:

Originally posted by Rod Gervais:
LMFAO........ if i had my druthers i would own a NEAVE board with flying faders -

You can get those for a steal.....the Neve boards are a little pricier. Dayam......... and here i was under the mistaken concept that i actually knew how to spell.....

I stand corrected (humbly) and wish to inquire if i may enlist your aid as a proofreader prior to the next time i attempt to insert a foot into my mouth........

Seriously - thanks for the correction - i appreaciate it. :)

Happy hunting always.........

Rod