Skip to main content

i've been upgrading EVERYTHING for an upcoming album, and currently have RODE NT5's as overheads.

i already own (1) c414, so i just wanted to get some opinions on whether i should i should pick up another c414 or spring for the 184's. mics will run through either an API 3124 or Focusrite Isa 428.

thanks for the help! dave.

Comments

Cucco Fri, 01/20/2006 - 12:27

It's all a matter of preference of course, but I would personally stick with the Rodes for overheads.

I've only had limited exposure to them, but to me they sound much nicer than the 184s (especially when compared on-axis, which you'll likely get most of your drum on or close to on-axis) and the 414s are nice for overheads, but I'm a little cold on them in general.

Drop some cash on other cool stuff instead, like:
Drugs
Alcohol
Hookers
(or get a drunk, high hooker and you might get all of the above for free too, then you could get):
Preamps
Acoustic treatments
cables
and other cool stuff.

I'll be reviewing the Charter Oak line here in the very near future. I spoke with Mike Deming yesterday (founder/developer) and he stated that his end-address mics (the S600's) are particularly well suited for overhead, especially if you are looking for a slightly darker sounding mic (which the 414, Rode and 184s are not...)

At this point, I am unsure which of his mics I'll be getting for review, but in any case, they might be worth a look - especially at that price.

Check out Nathan's site - he's one of the bigger US dealers for Charter Oak. http://www.atlasproaudio.com

J.

mark_van_j Fri, 01/20/2006 - 22:36

I would personally go for another 414. The mic is just so good not only on OH, but on almost everything else that you just HAVE to have 2 of them

But if you want a reason, it's because I find the 184 is too specific, as opposed to a quality all rounder. I've used it on piano, but preffered the 414, used it on an amp, preffered the 57, yesterday I used it to mic the bottom side of a snare. I have to say it wasn't too bad.

From what I gather, I think you don't really need it yet. You know you need it when you find yourself looking for it in the cabinet, when nothing else seems to work (not even the 57)

Fede Sat, 01/21/2006 - 11:00

I like Røde NT5 as good as KM184 on overheads, and I like both of them better than AKG C414, which CAN sound great on overhead, but often doesn't. Mostly it's too harsh for me.

Still, IMHO, none of these mics come close to KEL HM-1, so I would definately go for 2 of those - the best solution there is regardless of price (in most cases, and still IMHO) and you'll save a lot of money to spend on other cool stuff. Maybe a pair of omnis for ambience? The DPA 4090-series look interesting....

x

User login