Skip to main content

I am about to purchase a 003 and I have a 002. I have in the past hooked up 2 002s via ADAT Lightpipe. If any one can help I would love the answer. I cant even find an answer on the Digidesign forums!

Comments

dvdhawk Sun, 06/20/2010 - 11:44

In the past were you connecting the 002s to transfer tracks, or could you slave them and double the number of analog inputs by doing this?

For the purpose of transferring tracks, the ADAT protocol should be universal. As long as the sample-rate / bit-rate are set the same you shouldn't have any trouble doing that. One machine would have to provide the source clock the other would have to be set as a slave.

Boswell Mon, 06/21/2010 - 02:51

BrentTWilliams, post: 350477 wrote: I am about to purchase a 003 and I have a 002. I have in the past hooked up 2 002s via ADAT Lightpipe. If any one can help I would love the answer. I cant even find an answer on the digidesign forums!!!

What happened when you connected the two 002s by lightpipe? The ADAT output on an 00x carries the replayed output from the DAW and not the output of the 00x's pre-amps and line inputs. You can cross-connect 00x's via ADAT lightpipe for transfer of data in real-time from one system to another, or to replay tracks from one system while recording those tracks plus new tracks on a second system, but you can't use the ADATs on a pair of 00x's to expand the number of inputs to a single system - you need an ADAT-output pre-amp for that.

If it's more than 8 analog inputs into a single DAW you are looking for, I would hold off buying the 003 until you have thought this through.

hueseph Mon, 06/21/2010 - 10:22

I think you can go lightpipe from 002 too 003 but not the other way around. Not entirely sure about this though. I'm assuming we're talking about the 002 console and not the rack. It may work with the rack but for sure the 002 console can function as a standalone mixer so, you should be able to run adat out to the 003. The 003 does not work as a standalone.

Boswell Mon, 06/21/2010 - 10:26

The Digi 002 (but not the 002 Rack or the 003) has a standalone mode. If you use the 002 in standalone mode, the 8 analog inputs are digitized and appear on the ADAT output. You could connect this to the ADAT input of the 003. You would have to set the 003 to clock from its ADAT input, or if you wanted to use the 003 as the clock master, you would need to connect a coax S/PDIF cable from the 003 S/PDIF output to the 002 S/PDIF input.

Boswell Tue, 06/22/2010 - 02:47

No, the rack version of the 002 and all versions of the 003 have no stand-alone mode. To get it to work before, you must have had at least one 002 console version.

Why get an 003 when you already have an 002? The 002 will work with PT8. Why not just get an ADAT-output pre-amp that you can use with your 002 rack? There are many to choose from at varying quality and price points.