Skip to main content

Hi everyone,

I have the opportunity of getting a stereo pair of Neve 8108 preamps/eQ, cheapish.

I've been using a Joemeek Twin Q for a while, which is nice, but I'd like to invest in something a bit different, a bit 'better'...

I'm not famillair with Neve, but I've heard that the 8108 was not that popular a desk? Any suggestions?

Comments

RemyRAD Thu, 12/06/2007 - 11:02

8108, like the other vintage Neve modules is an absolutely worthy investment! It has THAT sound that you'll probably never get tired of. I've never gotten tired of my 48 3115 preamp/EQ's.

What you do want to stay away from are the later Siemens/Neve, designed for broadcast such as the 44 and 55 series. They are awful. Won't even last 10 years and have nothing in common with an old Neve like you are investigating.

Buy it! You'll love the equalizer too.
Ms. Remy Ann David

anonymous Thu, 12/06/2007 - 11:11

No expierence with these however sweetwater is selling the SSL alpha channel for 1200$ right now that's 800$ cheaper then when I bought it. Anyways it has a high quality pre, (one channel per unit mind) eq, limiter, and offers prenium A/D conversion when sent to interface via SPDIF. Other great feature it can provide master word clock at 44.1 if you are using say a 003 as master or something else with crumby clocking.
These units rock and also have the VHD knob which can add harmonic distortion for a more tube like sound. Buy 2 link them via SPDIF and you're gold. However Neve shit rocks so you probobly won't go wrong but these SSL units have many great functions if your studio is in the beginning stages gear wise.

RemyRAD Thu, 12/06/2007 - 12:19

TREXROCK offers up a worthy secondary suggestion. I've used SSL's for broadcast but not for rock-and-roll. Many people especially love them such as Bob Clearmountain. He still tracks and mixes on his 1978 vintage SSL 4000 E. I love the sound he gets with those desks. It makes my Simple Mind well up with Tears for Fears. Like Mick Jagger, he can't always get what he wants, from an API.

Jockeys or Boxers? Cotton or nylon? Pads or plugs?
Ms. Remy Ann David