Skip to main content

hi guys, i've successfully dual booted my xps with vista/xp. vista's for 'leisure' of course.
anyway, i've got this issue... whenever i'm working on Cubase sx 3, programming stuff... after awhile, the midi has latency. i know this shouldnt happen. i've switched the asio, i use a primus a25. i've plugged in the controller so that it isn't usb bus powered. but this problem still happens...

i'm an inch away from reformatting everything and starting from scratch.

or should i just create another user account on vista for music purposes? tweaking and switching off all the unnecessary functions.

Comments

Space Mon, 07/14/2008 - 17:49

Maybe the most helpful thing would be to have one computer with one os dedicated to one thing.

Dual booting, while tons of digital fun, usually is reserved for people that do dual booting for no reason beyond that this can be done.

So while reformatting everything and starting from scratch is no way to locate where what and why issues recur, based on what I'm reading...I'd say go for it.

Have you learned how to do an unattended install? I'd look into it:)

As a correction to "the midi has latency. i know this shouldn't happen." yes it does. Reboot the system after saving your work and you should have it back to where ever it, whatever it, was and is , before.

anonymous Mon, 07/14/2008 - 20:26

hey man, thanks for replying... the reason i did a dual boot on my laptop was because i also use to go online etc. and i know the internet & music production dont mix :p

i've read somewhere that vista can have separate user account with separate settings so i'll probably do that over the weekend.
as for the 'midi latency' thingy, it disappears after i reboot. but i kinda got sick and tired of rebooting every 15minutes... so... i better get this fixed asap...

thanks man

anonymous Tue, 07/15/2008 - 17:19

The problem is Vista! That freaking OS is a total memory/processor hog! Before I went to Mac I was running XP and made the deadly mistake of "upgrading" to Vista! Big mistake! I went back to XP and things ran 110% better.

I also had one PC dedicated to music production only! I bought a used PC cheaply to use for other stuff (surfing, word processing, etc.). I got a significant performance increase after I did that too.

Otherwise, try increasing the buffer in both your software and hardware settings and stop programs from running in the background (use the msconfig utility for that) to free up some memory.

Try doing that before you go through reformatting and reinstalling.

Good luck!

Space Tue, 07/15/2008 - 20:58

tubbyd wrote:
i've read somewhere that vista can have separate user account with separate settings so i'll probably do that over the weekend

thanks man

You can set up user profiles in Xp as well. Something that others do, myself included, is to set up a stripped down hardware profile:
http://www.brighthub.com/Computing/Windows-Platform/articles/2300.aspx

You can search here @ RO and get better particulars about what can or should not be excluded in doing this.

Thanks man!!!