Skip to main content

I'm thinking about upgrading my mic collection and with it my preamps. Right now I have an Audio-Technica AT 3035 and a PreSonus tube pre with 2 inputs. They have both gotten me plenty of decent recording but I'm now looking to upgrade. I've been doing a lot of research and I feel pretty dead set on getting the A-designs P-1 preamp and the AT4050 mic. I use Mbox 2 and Pro Tools. Does anyone see a problem with either of these investments, seeing as I'm doing mostly personal acoustic recordings.

Comments

Boswell Tue, 12/02/2008 - 21:36

Yes, the FireStudio would give much better results than the Mbox2, but it won't work directly with ProTools.

You have two ways you can make PT work with external gear and not have Digi hardware in the analog chain:

(1) use the S/PDIF inputs on the Mbox 2 or (Mbox2 Pro), and get a high-quality external pre-amp that has S/PDIF outputs. Examples of these are the API A2D, Neve 1073DPD and Audio & Design DMA2. The S/PDIF restricts you to two channels.

(2) upgrade to a Digi 002(R) or 003 (R) and use the ADAT lightpipe input to connect a multi-channel pre-amp that has ADAT outputs. Single-box examples are the RME FireFace 800 and the Mackie Onyx 800R, but having separate units for the pre-amps and A-D conversion also is possible.

I've not used a PreSonus FireStudio, but it may be possible to configure it for stand-alone use such that the ADAT lightpipe output carries the digitized pre-amp outputs instead of the output from the DAW. The FireStudio manual on the PreSonus website is damaged and won't open, so I can't check this.