Skip to main content

hello, i write because i am confuse about digi002 rack,
its generate like white noise when i use gain up, and in middle to

i am missing something?

i use summit audio 221 to digi002,

i was user of dig001 and never happen this, is so noisy digi 002 compare to digi001

i will appreciate help, thanks!

Topic Tags

Comments

Markd102 Wed, 04/26/2006 - 05:22

Just want to confirm your connections here.....

Are you using an XLR -> XLR mic lead to connect the Summit to the 002?
If so, this is bad.

Use an XLR(female) -> TRS(male) to plug the Summit into one of 002 channels 5-8.

If you are already connecting in this manner, then disregard that and check all you leads, try different 002 inputs etc.

anonymous Wed, 04/26/2006 - 06:45

thanks

hi ,thanks for your ripley

yes i use xlr to trs , you mean chanel 5?

now i plug in to input 1 on digi002, i dont know what i do wrong,,, is strange,,,

can you explain me diagram all conections more detail? maybe i find some mistake in my setup....

if i put gain on digi up , this become white noise, if put half way solvet a bit but still this bother noise on the backk,

thanks again

all the best

Kev Thu, 04/27/2006 - 14:26

in principle yes

but you could experiment with a little gain on the 002 ... be wary of noise
with some gain on both units you could potentialy get more overall gain and still have good noise floor

only useful if you are searching for very high gains of 80+ ... distance micing of spoken word or effects sort of thing

probably not so useful in music record ... even if you do have quiet ribbon mics

The Summit providing the gain from mic to line and the 002 as a line input is probably going to give the best results

anonymous Fri, 04/28/2006 - 01:15

hello , thanks for email,

i try today it ,but i still have this noise, i become crazy
now i am not sure if this is part little noise generate preamp or what...

with new setup of cables, the only change is i cant use gain on digi002 ,, what i record is not 100% clear like i did years ago with digi001,.,,

i compare what i did with digi001 and compare what record 002 , and is very diferent... no noise,..

for exemple if i record my flute , and betwen 2 phrases i try to edit and cut for delete my breath, i can hear the diference betwen noise and silence what i edit, this never happen before , with digi001,, ummmmm

i dont know what i do wrong,,

help please!!

Markd102 Sat, 04/29/2006 - 17:49

OK, take the Summit out of the equation. and see what happens.
That is... Plug the mic directly into one of the preamps on the Digi002 and record something.
Is it still noisy?
If it is, then you should contact Digi Tech Suppoort and see what they say.
But if the sound is now clean, then your 002 is fine and it might be that the Summit has developed a problem.

anonymous Sun, 04/30/2006 - 01:24

hello , thank you again,

well if i conect directly mic to into digi002, if i put gain all the way up, is noise, this thing never hapen with 001, i will call to them but, i dont think they can help, months ago i bought mbox2 i have the same problem, i send my mbox2 to suport and they say this noise is normal,

so now my question is, are the same preamps in digi001 and digi002 and mobox2?
i dont think , digi001 is really clean,

another question is, now i dont use dat or adat, maybe have somethingh to do with 44 khz? if i record 96 khz is better??

excusme my ignorance,

what diferent if i record 96 khz?? i can notice big diference??

thanks, all the best

Markd102 Mon, 05/01/2006 - 17:53

Whoa! Opening a preamp all the way up? Well no wonder you are getting noise. Even a lot of highend units are noisy when opened right up. If your 001 was silent I'm amazed!
If you need to turn a preamp up that far, then either your source is way too quiet, or there is something else very wrong in your signal chain.

Recording at 96khz won't solve any noise issues. You may hear a slightly more detailed recording, but unless you are recording classical, or your music is ending up on DVD Audio, then I don't think it's worth the extra disk space needed.
Most pro studios I know who are 192khz capable still record bands at 24/44.1

anonymous Tue, 05/02/2006 - 02:18

hello, yes! is really silence digi001, maybe somethingh wrong but for works really good,

maybe i am becomimg crazy, and this noise is natural, this noise i appear when i puit headphones all way up, i think normal people dont notice,

so you think plug reduction noise can solvet this noise???

i check waves, sound insteresting,,

all the best, and thanks!

Markd102 Sat, 05/06/2006 - 15:33

I have two of them, so obviously I like them.

They are a very honest mic, wont colour your sound much at all.
I think they shine on acoustic guitar. Flute I haven't recorded since I got mine, so I can't comment there, but it would be the first mic I'd reach for.

On vocals they will either suit or not.... and more likely not. But as instrument mics they excell.

The other thing is that because they are so "vanilla" in their sound, swapping preamps can have a huge difference.

I have a Buzz Audio and a Sebatron, and the 103 sounds like a totally different mic through each.

Hope this helps

anonymous Sat, 05/06/2006 - 20:47

oh wow, really i see,,,

so for exemple i find to mics same price

se electronics gemini ( vacum)

and tlm103 Neumann

wich of both i can win quality sound??

i am not sure in it, some people tell more se electronics is better quality than tlm 103,

what do you think????

thanks again! i hope not bother you