Skip to main content

Am about to step my home studio up to 24/96 and my choices are:

1) DigiDesign 002

2) Apogee Mini-Me coupled with M-Audio Firewire Audiophile & M-powered Pro Tools

Any opinions?

Thanks!
Mono Maniac

Comments

anonymous Mon, 01/09/2006 - 03:03

Digi-002 versus Apogee MiniMe

Hi Remy - thanks for the tip! (Unfortunately the Sony DSD is probably way beyond my budget!)

What I'm doing is the following:

old scratchy mono 45s
into: linn Sondek w/ARO tonearm & Lyra Helikon Mono cartridge
into: Krell phono stage
into: an M-Box
into: ProTools in my mac G5
then cleaning the 45s with ProTools & Waves Restoration.
THEN running the files into an Alesis Masterlink.

I DO NOT like the results of Bounce To Disc - am i wrong or is this function doing a compression/limiter tweak to the sound file?

And I do not like 16/44.1

I want to ditch the M-box and jump to 24/96 (Digi-002? or Apogee MiniMe/M-Audio Firewire?) and then burn the music at 24/96 onto an Alesis Masterlink.

Question: Would the Apogee/M-Audio take care of all the a/d and d/a or would i need something more for running the files into the Alesis?

Thanks again!

anonymous Mon, 01/09/2006 - 03:57

Oops! One more question? (well, two)

argh.... just remembered the Tascam beastie....

Would i be better off with the Tascam DVRA1000 High Definition Audio Master Recorder (has DSD) than the Alesis Masterlink?

and... would 24/96 CDs burned on the Tascam be able to be PLAYED BACK on an Alesis masterlink?

thanks again!

hueseph Mon, 01/09/2006 - 10:16

CD's burned at 24/96 will not be readable in any consumer format cd player. I know that masterlink is far from consumer but it does burn to consumer 16bit/44.1k and I'm not sure that it will read at 24bit/96k. What is your intention? Are you doing this for the sake of archiving or do you have some other purpose?

anonymous Mon, 01/09/2006 - 10:48

I'm having to sell my 50s rockabilly & 60s garage 45 collection to pay for taxes, house repairs, etc, and i'll NEVER be able to replace them with prices what they are these days, but I want to have top-notch recordings that i can listen to, and 16/44.1 just doesn't cut it.

Anyone out there know if the Masterlink does READ 24/96 CDRs?

Opus2000 Tue, 01/10/2006 - 16:07

The masterlink will be able to import the data from the CD. Remember that there is no true way to actually create an audio cd with 24/96 data. It's impossible in the long run.

You can record the data at 24/96 but in the long run you'll be reverting it back down to 44.1/16 bit to create an audio CD.

Using good converters is the way to go to get the good quality sound you are looking for.

TeddyG Fri, 01/13/2006 - 04:58

MM is NOT listening and I've gotta' go to the store, but..... I'll try......

-----------------------------------------------

Hold on a second!

Your "rockabilly" and "garage collection of 45's" recorded at 44.1/16 "doesn't cut it"??? What are you doing wrong??? They're 45's - from the 50's and 60's! They NEVER sounded even "good"! None of them DESERVE 44.1/16! 32 bit .mp3, maybe???

Do this. Buy a Lynx L22, a good turntable, a good TT preamp and the most expensive Plextor burner. Put ANY VST capable software(I use Wavelab) on your machine and your favorite cleaning plug-ins and have at it! Do your "work"(Digitizing, de-clicking, etc.) at 32/48(Or 88 or 96 or 192 if you like?), then down sample, dither and stick them on CD's or(Better) DVD's. If YOU do YOUR work WELL, they will all sound as good as they ever did in the 50's!

Meantime, we all got problems MM, please, try to relax......

I gotta' go to the store,

TG

hueseph Fri, 01/13/2006 - 07:37

TeddyG wrote:
Hold on a second!

Your "rockabilly" and "garage collection of 45's" recorded at 44.1/16 "doesn't cut it"??? What are you doing wrong??? They're 45's - from the 50's and 60's! They NEVER sounded even "good"! None of them DESERVE 44.1/16! 32 bit .mp3, maybe???

Aint that the truth.

RemyRAD Fri, 01/13/2006 - 13:59

And you have to remember that back in " those days" the pass band on most of those recordings are 50 -15,000 Hertz anyhow because that's what mastering engineers did back then to get things on to the lacquer. And don't forget on most of those stereo versions low frequencies are combined into mono below 200 cycles. Of course a lot of people would like to have a Rolls-Royce in the garage while they drive their Volkswagen. That's understandable so why not just go DSD and be done with it???

Remy Ann David

anonymous Sun, 01/15/2006 - 05:01

"they NEVER sounded even good"

TG: ahhh... such condescension from a typical "audio" dweeb.

The world does not rotate around your beloved SACD version of "Sussudio".

Your statement of "They NEVER sounded even 'good'": I suppose the world would be better if the Alan Parsons Group re-recorded every song recorded prior to 1972, including your "precious" Beatles?

I am quite relaxed. Selling 32 "crappy old shit sounding 45s" for $71,000 does tend to relax oneself. Having another 2000 equally rare (and GREAT) "crappy old 45s" that can also be sold does tend to relax oneself. I doubt if the same can be said of the $7 Genesis albums you purchased in the 80s, which will fetch you a few stares at the local used wax emporium and perhaps a $3 tradein credit.

Sorry, bub, but I'd requested INPUT regarding 24/96 recording options, NOT your inexperienced, naive, blanket opinion on MUSIC.

hueseph Sun, 01/15/2006 - 08:24

I don't think it was a stab at the genre. It was a simple fact. Even RemyRad pointed out that those old platters have an restricted bandwidth so increasing the frequency response/headroom really has no benefit. You're making room for audio that isn't there in the first place. It's not a criticism on surf music.