Skip to main content

Hey all:
I was wondering if anyone here has any opinion or background knowledge on this microphone as a recording mic. I was also given a couple of used Shure SM63's. I was just wondering if either of these mics are worth keeping around and what type of application they might be suitable for..

Topic Tags

Comments

dvdhawk Mon, 02/09/2009 - 19:48

I can't testify on the SM63, but I own a couple of the EV RE635A and I use mine for location video recording. They've been used for years in the TV news business. You can still see them being used by TV news field reporters.

They're insanely durable and a generally smooth sounding microphone. They have a very generous omni-directional pattern, which is why they like them for field interviews. It doesn't really matter which way you point it. An omni won't have the proximity effect (bass boost) that a SM57 has, so some will tell you it sounds thin compared to a 57. The RE635 has very little to offer above 12kHz, but still a fairly natural sound. Not your typical pristine studio sound, but easily worth the $110 they go for new.

RemyRAD Tue, 02/10/2009 - 11:38

These Omni-directional microphones have been a radio/TV news standard. Not only do they not suffer from proximity effect but Omni-directional microphones typically, do not suffer from "plosive", "P" popping problems like directional microphones have. And their inherent slight bandwidth limitations help to prevent extreme low & high frequencies that have nothing to do with speech, out of the picture, sonically. Besides, when you don't have a hammer, the 635 A comes in particularly handy. It's virtually indestructible and not bad during hurricanes either.

Blown away
Ms. Remy Ann David